Disk Upgrade

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ygthb, Sep 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paper_Machine

Paper_Machine Pen Pal - Newbie

I purchased one of the 200 GB travelstar Hard drives. I used acronis to copy the entire image on to the new 200gb Hard drive. Everything installed correctly except.... I get a pop up box in the taskbar asking me to activate my windows vista. So I use the product key given to me on the bottom of my machine, and the key is invalid. I can understand this because of copyright infringement?

I called IBM technical support and service, Some lethargic sounding a*hole picked up. I don't know if what he said is true, but it doesnt sound logical, anyway this is what he said:

IBM Rep: "In order for you to install a new hard drive on your x61 tablet you would need to purchase the ultrabay and insert bootable disks, no other optical drive will work."

Soooo, I ask: "Lenovo did not send me any disks because I do not have the ultrabay. I will try this method and purchase the ultrabay from a reseller. How would I obtain those bootable/recovery disks? Would you be able to send me one?"

IBM Rep: "No, sir," (What the hell? wheres the courtesy?) "You would have to purchase those also. "

Hmm some support I got from my warranty. Horrible service to say the least.:mad:

Anyway for those who have installed a new hard drive into your laptop/notebook/tablet through alternative methods using third party programs, Have any of you come across the Windows Vista activation key request in the taskbar. Right now for me, Vista still works fine, but I find it annoying to see the vista activation popup.

2. smoothoperator

smoothoperator Pen Pal - Newbie

Click the activate by phone method, call the number, if the code is invalid you will talk to a live person and they will be able to help you activate vista.

Arconis True Image has never worked properly for me, I have noticed that Norton Ghost works pretty well, the best way to do this is to pull the hard disk from the laptop and clone the new hard disk, on another computer.

3. Paper_Machine

Thanks a lot Smoothoperator. I'll give them a call.

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Scribbler - Standard Member

This is not unusual, a hard drive is a major hardware piece according to Vista and usually requires reactivation. If you update the bios on a EVGA motherboard it will require you to reactivate also. This sometimes can be done with a totally automated phone call and they will issue you a new number without even speaking to anyone. It sucks....but it's not uncommon.

5. student

student Scribbler - Standard Member

[/QUOTE]Anyway for those who have installed a new hard drive into your laptop/notebook/tablet through alternative methods using third party programs, Have any of you come across the Windows Vista activation key request in the taskbar. Right now for me, Vista still works fine, but I find it annoying to see the vista activation popup.[/QUOTE]

I called Microsoft and got an activation code... make sure to write it down as well as inputting it into your machine incase you need it again. I had to call twice, once after installing a new 200GB 7200rpm Hitachi HDD and once after a Rescue and Recovery rebuild.

Acronis Migrate Easy works pretty well if you boot from the disk and bypass the operating system. I had a cloned disk (also originally a Seagate Momentus 7200.1 and was up and running in around 40mins as well.

6. Paper_Machine

Thanks for all your help. I called about 8 hours ago, and everything went smoothly. Solved my problem in about 2 minutes after calling microsoft support.
    I gave them my product ID and they issued me a new 42? number code.

My Hard Drive is now problem free at 7200 rpm goodness. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.