Disk Upgrade

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ygthb, Sep 21, 2007.

1. ygthb

ygthb SQA Start-Up Guy

I just ordered a Hitachi 7k200 200GB HD for instalation in my X61T.

I have been using windows backup to an external drive.

Lenovo is sending me my restore disks.

Can I...

Install the 200GB drive, use the restore disks, use windows restore to restore from my backup.

Would I need to reactivate my MS Office applications?

Would I be better off just doing a selective restore, then copying all my data, and trying to restore my settings?

What about all the passwords stored in the fingerprint application?

Any other gotchas?

ART

2. jenarelJAM

jenarelJAM Scribbler - Standard Member

I believe my dad bought the same exact HD upgrade, and after trying two or three drive "cloning" programs (and failing), he decided to use the Lenovo software and it worked beautifully. I believe it's just reinstalling Windows from the restore disks and then restore from a previous backup. Not sure if he used Windows backup or the Lenovo backup...

3. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

yeah that will work, but unfortunately you will have to reinstall everything, im not sure how the recovery disk will work but i would think you would need to atleast reactivate them...

Maybe not though, but if worse comes to worse you just reinstall everything...

4. jywang

jywang Scribbler - Standard Member

Just use Vista Complete PC Backup to an external HD. Unfortunately, to restore, you will need to reboot from a Vista install disc.

5. ygthb

ygthb SQA Start-Up Guy

Half way there, I have both a r&r backup and a Windows full disk backup on my external 120 gig.

So, can I just restore one of those once I recover from lenovo recovery cd's to the 200 gig?

6. ygthb

ygthb SQA Start-Up Guy

Got my 7k200 200 gb hitachi travelstar. Got an external enclosure, both from newegg (great speed and prices BTW).

Also have recovery disks directly from IBM (4DVD)

Now, I trust in my backup, but shouldnt have, it died.

I removed my 7200 rpm 100 gig to find that it is a momentus. Kind of supprosing, but still a good drive.

installed the 200 gig, went through the restore from the dvd's, then update hell from windows. then updates galore from lenovo.

seems real fast, but very glad I did not blow away the 100 gig, it is back in now so that I can get work done, not enough time to get it fully working.

I am thinking that this weekend I will do a selective restore from the RnR partition on the 200, then install office and such... should be an adventure.

ART

7. krypticide

krypticide Scribbler - Standard Member

Just did a disk upgrade to the Western Digital Scorpio 160 GB (Newegg for $90). I almost got an EIDE version, but luckily I double-checked. SATA is new for me, actually.

I used the R&R media I had created previously, and things are more or less set up now. However, I was having this issue where the hard drive light would stay lit up, and my computer would be unusable (mouse usually moved though) for 10-15 minutes, then everything would suddenly work again, and the hard drive light would start flickering. I'm wondering if there's some sort of "overload" going on, because this happened during intense periods of hard drive activity.

I did a full drive check using Western Digital's Diagnostic Tool, and also did a quick test using PC Doctor, both of which turned out okay. I'm not sure what happened, but my hard drive is now defragmented and hasn't had issues since then...we'll see what happens.

8. krypticide

krypticide Scribbler - Standard Member

Seems the lockups are related to iaStor timeouts in Event Viewer, which is related to the Intel Matrix Storage drivers. Trying to figure out how to clean this mess up.

9. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

If you guys are thinking about getting this drive, now is the time to get a smoking hot deal. I started a new thread about it, including the price, where to get it, what to look for, how to return it, how to install it, possible problems, yada-yada-yada....here's the link:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=10860

10. dwkor

dwkor Pen Pal - Newbie

I've used Acronis True Image 10 Home for that operation (boot from recovery media). It worked without any problems - cloned Seagate 120Gb to Hitachi 200Gb within 40 minutes.