Discussion of the proposed change to the TPCR forum Structure

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Site Help' started by CLeonard, Jul 5, 2012.

1. CLeonard

CLeonard Tablet PC Review Site Admin Super Moderator

Here's your chance to comment on the proposed changes to the forum structure. The new structure will be as follows:

General
    • What Tablet Should I Buy?
    • The Tablet Life
    • Buy Sell, Trade and Tablet PC Deals
    • Site Suggestions and Site Help

Tablet News
    • News Headlines
    • Press Releases and Announcements
    • The Roundup

Windows Tablets and Tablet PC
    • Windows 8
    • Legacy Windows OS (7/Vista/XP...
    • Software/Applications
    • Hardware/Accessories
    • Acer
    • ASUS
    • Dell
    • Fujitsu
    • Lenovo (IBM)
    • Microsoft
    • Motion Computing
    • Panasonic
    • Samsung
    • Sony
    • Toshiba
    • Other Manufacturers

Android Tablets
    • Android OS
    • Applications
    • Hardware/Accessories
    • Acer
    • Amazon
    • Asus
    • Barnes & Noble
    • Dell
    • Fujitsu
    • HP
    • Lenovo
    • Motorola (Google)
    • Panasonic
    • Samsung
    • Sony
    • Toshiba
    • Other Manufacturers

Apple Tablets
    • iOS
    • Applications
    • Hardware/Accessories
    • iPad

Other Operating Systems, Devices and Manufacturers
    • eReaders (Kindle,Nook,etc.) - For discussions of the Kindle Fire and the Nook Tablets, please visit the Android Tablets Forum.
    • Blackberry (RIM)
    • Linux
    • webOS

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

C: The proposed organization looks OK, I guess. One question: Does the volume of message traffic that we currently get justify the large number of Android categories? Would it make sense to break out the most popular brands and combine the others into a "General Android Tablets" category...???

3. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree with this. It's probably not necessary to have so many android categories, just the major players.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note

4. CLeonard

CLeonard Tablet PC Review Site Admin Super Moderator

I think you're right. We'll cull the android options back. We can always add new categories if the traffic warrants them.

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

HP is a far more significant player in the Tablet PC market than Acer, Sony and Toshiba. It should probably have a slot all its own instead of being lumped into "other manufacturers." You can probably eliminate HP from Android, since I'm not sure they make any and they're represented in the WebOS category.

6. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I just noticed the HP mistake. I guess it was a typo. They probably meant to place it under TabletPC, rather than Android. My suggestions:

• There's no need for 3 sub-forums under Tablet News. Upon hitting Tablet News, the visitor should see all "Announcements", "Roundup" and "Press Release" posts. As a matter of fact, the Roundup posts seem overkill to me.

• Windows Tablets and TabletPCs seems like a poorly worded category. Analog to "Entering inside the interior" of something. Just use "Tablet PCs". If not, use "Windows Tablets" or "Windows Tablet PCs".

• There are too many sub-forums under Android. I don't know how much traffic you guys get here, but many of those sub-forums could be eliminated or merged. There should be 3 or 4 manufacturer sub-forums (Samsung, Asus, Google and Amazon) plus an "Other Manufacturers" sub-forum.

• Apple needs only 3 sub-forums: "iOS", "Apps" and "Hardware/Accessories".

I think you guys are trying too hard to cater to everyone. The main proof of that are those over-detailed categories and the daily posting of Apple/Android news. In a way, it's less worse nowadays....as it used to be Apple news everyday! It just looks silly, I'm sorry. I understand the financial angle, but people looking for iPad or Android information will not come here.

This forum is the de-facto source of news for all things TabletPC. I'm pretty sure Microsoft and OEMs come here to monitor sentiment. Engaged, Cnet and friends probably come here too for the same reason! By this time, next year, there will be so many interesting Tablet PCs in the market that this place will be bubbling with posts and new members! Exciting times ahead! :cool:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I'm pretty sure Microsoft and OEMs come here to monitor sentiment...>>

Off Topic: I'd certainly like to believe that's true, but my personal experience suggests otherwise. Most of the people that I've talked to over the years didn't even know this forum exists (although I never pass up the opportunity to give the forum a plug!)...

8. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

OT:

I'm certain this was the case before the iPad and Slate 500, but I believe it has changed in the last 2 years. Sometimes, while reading Engadget, Slashgear, Ars, etc, I see articles where the writers use words or phrases that were not very common before when talking about tablets. Besides, the appearance of Rick here shows some (unofficial) interest coming from OEMs. I wonder if he's still checking the forum....He made a sincere effort to help everyone.

I do think tablet-engineers lurk these forums nowadays. They might not care a lot about what we say (Joe Sixpack is their bread and butter), but they probably come here to get our perspectives too. But before the iPad/Slate 500? Likely not....

9. Fishface

Fishface Scribbler - Standard Member

Too many overlapping categories. This is a low traffic site. You want to concentrate the postings while reducing noise. By fragmenting the site into so many tiny subforums you're reducing the post frequency and effectively reducing site activity = a good thing for heavy traffic forums but a bad thing here.

One news subforum with all the news.
    One general discussion forum for all hardware/software discussions for all OSes.
    Then manufacturer-specific forums for specific technical issues.

That's all you need.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  10. Spartikiss

Spartikiss Scribbler - Standard Member

Can't seem to find the Gateway Computers forum... Has it been deleted in the new site? If so, what happened to all the info from the old site? Lots of good stuff there.

-Spart