Disassembly of the Fujitsu LifeBook T4200 Series Tablet PC

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by SimsHsia, Jul 14, 2008.

1. borednerds

borednerds Pen Pal - Newbie

Right on the flat (square?) connector that connects to the mobo. I thought the cable pulled away from the board instead of up from it, and in the process dislodge a couple of the wires from the connector. They're all black, so it's hard to know which goes where.

After further dismantling the case of the screen, I discovered the cable goes to another board on the back of the screen, I figure I could just replace the cable, but I have no idea what it's called. It also seems very delicate, so I want to proceed with caution before I replace it with the cable out of the working laptop (and risk having two bad eggs).

2. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, the connector goes up while the cables leave to the side. Next time you do something like that use a plastic stick or a toothpick to move the connector a bit before applying real force.
    And NEVER pull on the cables. The best way is to apply a separating force between the connecting parts by twisting a screwdriver or something like that. Otherwise you apply a lot of mechanical stress to the mainboard connector in many cases.

Repairing this connector will be a lot of fun. I haven't looked at it in detail, but iirc the wires in there were clamped. Soldering is not going to work here, so your best bet is to get delicate tools and try to pry open the clamps holding the wire...
    Unless you're two thirds a watchmaker, you're going to give up pretty soon or break the connector.
    As the wires are all black, you'd have to regain the pinout from the second cable via measuring.

To be honest, I'd rather pay the money for a new cable (likely not easy to get) or buy a dead or damaged T42xx for a replacement. I'm sure, without any warranty, that the cable is the same for T4210, T4215 and T4220.

Also, be aware that getting the cables through the hinge is not easy. Iirc the mainboard side connector you damaged does not fit through the hole.

3. borednerds

That was my fear. Any thoughts on what the cable's called? Without the cable, would the screen still function? Or would it be possible to re-purpose this as a monitor?

4. Hattori Hanzo

I'd guess something like digitizer cable, because iirc that's what it mainly connects. It also, iirc, carries the connections for the switch board and USB for the fingerprint reader. Try your luck, I've never seen this on sale separately somewhere.

Depending on what cables you ripped off, you might have just lost some buttons, the power switch or the digitizer. The display has a separate cable which is the white connector just besides the black one on the mainboard.

Repurposing this as a separate monitor is a long way. You'd need an LVDS to (choose display protocol) adapter and that's not a standard standalone part nor easily craftable.
    If your power switch broke your best bet is to get a dock and live with a very small second desktop ;)

5. borednerds

6. Hattori Hanzo

I keep my thumbs crossed for you getting it through the hinge undamaged and without damaging something else :)

If you ever have a spare hinge and shipping to Germany is not costing as much as the hinge is worth itself, let me know ;)

7. curryqueen

curryqueen Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you. I don't know what I might have done had I not found this information. My T4220 was overheating badly, now I can fix it (I hope!).

8. csjen

csjen Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi:

I'm planning to replace the motherboard. It will be my first one, but since I'm out of warranty, got nothing to loose. Do I need any tools additional to some screwdrivers? Any suggestions?