Disassembly of the Fujitsu LifeBook T4200 Series Tablet PC

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by SimsHsia, Jul 14, 2008.

1. koz

koz Pen Pal - Newbie

Was this on a T4215 or a T4220? I'm looking to install a new processor on a T4215, but I'm not quite sure which to go with. From what I've read so far, the older T7xxx series processors will work fine, but if I can go with something newer, why not.

2. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi koz,

Yeah, the T4215 and T4220 uses different Intel platforms and, thus, different sockets. The T4215 uses the Napa platform, and thus uses the obsolete Socket M; while the T4220 uses the Santa Rosa platform with the current Socket P. Although both sockets have 478 contacts, some of the older (even hundreds-place* ~ e.g. T7200, T7400, etc) T7xxx series processors are not pin-compatible with the Socket P. So you're pretty much stuck with using 65nm Merom processors rather than the newer, current, 45nm Penryn processors - the highest you can probably go, correct me if I'm wrong, is the T7700 (2.4GHz, 4MB L2). :)

So to answer your first question: iammcse upgraded their T4220, judging by the T9300 which is a Socket P-compatible processor.

* With the exception of the T7250 which is a Socket P

3. rcxAsh

rcxAsh Scribbler - Standard Member

Has anyone here been using Fujitsu tablets long enough such that they would know how to safely disassemble the older T4010?

The physical appearance and layout of the T series has changed rather substantially between the T4010/T4020 and the T4210. So this wonderful guide here can only give me clues... I always had gotten stuck at that strip above the keyboard. (For anyone else wanting to try, note the T4010/T4020 has an extra screw under the shiny silver crescent, which must be removed first - but something else still has it stuck).

My fan is quite noisy now, and I'm curious if re-seating it or cleaning out any possible dust inside the machine could fix things. But I'm hesitant to explore opening it myself if no one has a documented process for it since theoretically, I only need the computer to last me one more year of university... (better a noisy computer than a dead one?)

There was a post on TabletPCBuzz a long time ago showing a T4020 being disassembled, but that post is long lost now. (I think I may have even asked about this here before...)

4. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. rcxAsh

rcxAsh Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for those links.

I managed to get the strip off on the end. Perhaps it's the same as on the T4200 series, but after the screw is removed, it is only held in place by two small tabs on the left and right ends. In the photo below, it is the tiny tab that is to the left of the "P" key on my keyboard.
    [​IMG]

If I remember what I did when prying it off, I pried up somewhere around the tab just above the "K" key in the photo above. This was just to force the small tab by the "P" key to come out.

The entire strip removed is shown below. There are tabs along the top that would prevent you from prying the strip off directly up. These can slide out once you unhook the two small tabs on the left and right edges (see the first photo).
    [​IMG]

The keyboard connector for the T4010 is on the top left side. There is double-sided tape, I believe, holding the keyboard in place, so you need to pry up the first half slowly first, and then slide the keyboard up and out (there are a series of tabs along the bottom edge that would prevent you from pulling it straight up.
    [​IMG]

In the end, I didn't take the entire machine apart, but looking around the machine and all the screws everywhere, it looks like the rest is a similar process to the T4200 series. Screws and components are just located differently.

I could see part of the fan below the keyboard on the top left corner, and it looked pretty clean. So perhaps just the bearings on my fan are the reason for the noise... I thought maybe the blades were rubbing against something, but it turns freely if I turn it slowly myself with the machine off.

6. luckyluke

luckyluke Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks a lot for the grat guide! In y configuration there were three screws holding the heat shield and I had to take care of the bluetooth ribbon before I can remove the heat shield.

Thanks again for the great guide!

7. jordanew

jordanew Pen Pal - Newbie

I had a bit of trouble with reassembly, in particular with the ribbon connectors (keyboard and touchpad). Please help if you have any idea how I can connect the touchpad!!!

For the keyboard, I finally got it by resting the keyboard on its "head" (imagine if you took the keyboard from its normal position and rotated it 90 degrees away from you, using the top of the keyboard as the axis). I then used both hands to get the ribbon in position and finally used my fingernail to push on the slight edge created by the stiff plastic covering on the ribbon's edge, in order to drive the ribbon into the connector. I was able to feel it snap solidly into place.

I was never able to get the touchpad to work. I thought I got the ribbon into place, but I never got the solid click I got with the ribbon, and sure enough, my touchpad isn't working (I'm using a USB mouse right now). I tried a couple of times, but no dice.

I uploaded pictures of the additional two screws that RocketScientist and luckyluke refer to in their posts. As RocketScientist mentions, they both have arrows pointing to them, making them easy to find if you know they are there. One is by the button that releases the latch holding the screen closed (if the laptop is fully assembled), the other is in the upper left hand corner by the USB ports.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Attached Files:

8. zailer

zailer Pen Pal - Newbie

could somebody pls explain .. whats that white antenna wire for ??

i have black and grey connected to intel wlan module and a white antenna wire connected to separate module down to this .. written Taiyo yuden (found out to be a bluetooth module ,guess )

So what does this mean ?

Here how can i add a WWAN module to this tablet in that case where to put sim card any hope to do this mod :) thanks mates.

[​IMG][/URL]

9. borednerds

borednerds Pen Pal - Newbie

Here's to hoping someone's still tinkering with these bad boys:

I have two T4220s. One with a good shell and good screen and one with a "well-loved" shell and decent screen. I've been successful at switching the cases, but in the process, dismembered a couple of the connections on the good screen for the Wacom cable that connects to the motherboard. Is this repair- or replace-able?

10. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

Could you be a bit more specific where exactly the cable is damaged?
    Did you rip off the cables from the plug for the mainboard? Is there any wire left, or are they ripped off flat?
    etc..