disassembling the t5010

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by bait, May 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bait

bait Pen Pal - Newbie

i posted my problem over in this thread:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=26084
    and this is the continuation of it. perhaps i should have kept this post in that thread, but hopefully the mods won't banish me for creating a new one.

so basically i wanted to cool my palm rest, so i decided to take the laptop apart. all in all, i'm not sure my attempts really did anything. it still feels pretty warm...although my room at the moment is around 82F (don't ask) so that could be it. i suppose it does seem like my "mod" has distributed more heat over to the right side, which is one of the things i was going for. i wish i had an accurate thermometer around to know exactly what kind of temperatures i'm seeing. currently i've placed the bulb of an old school thermometer on the palm rest and it reads between 98-102F. but somehow i get the feeling that's not really reading it right.

whatever the case i thought i'd post some pictures of the disassembly (or partial disassembly) and lightly run through what i had to do.

first things first, if you decide you want to take this laptop apart, i can't be held responsible for your actions. the steps i took worked for me and my level of care and paranoia. please do it at your own risk. honestly, i don't recommend taking it apart. it almost seems like fujitsu purposely tried to prevent people from opening this machine up.

second of all, i don't think i was particularly efficient at it or anything of the sort; there are probably screws i didn't need to unscrew and steps i didn't need to take. but this is just what i did to successfully access what i wanted to access. also, working with the laptop upside down is easier than right side up. at least for me.

ok so first went out the power and battery and fan filter. then i just unscrewed the 13 screws that hold the back panel. after opening that up it looks something like this.

[​IMG]

nothing new there, i'm sure a lot of you have seen that before. next i took the hard drive out, then unscrewed the bigger screws that hold the entire bottom panel to the keyboard/palmrest assembly. there are about 14 of those i think. you also need to get the 2 screws on the backside right below the screen hinge, inside the groove. they are covered by 2 round black stickers, like so.

[​IMG]

oh and perhaps it's necessary (or not) to get the 2 screws beside the screen hinge (when laptop is opened). just pry those rubber caps off with a small flathead driver or something of the sort. they pop right off.

[​IMG]

then i took out the wireless card and the connectors leading into the lcd panel.

[​IMG]

what you see on the right part of the picture above are the usb/modem circuit boards. you don't have to take that out, but i had when i took the picture since it was my first run through the disassembly.

there are also 6 smaller screws (same size as the 13 screws taken out to take off the bottom panel) on the motherboard. i'm still not sure if i needed to take them out, but i did anyway. they all have a little triangle pointing to them (the fan's screws have pointers too but you don't need to unscrew those).

you should now be able to slowly lift the whole bottom panel off the main body. now you need to be pretty careful here because the connectors, especially for the touchpad, are not really that long at all. the front side of the laptop is clipped on like so:

[​IMG]

hopefully you can see the clips right smack in the middle of the picture (or just above it). it takes some care and patience and a little bending/finagling to get them apart.

if you've made it here, hooray you can see the inside. right below the cmos battery is the southbridge. all those warm left palm rests are caused by that bugger. (at least from my findings)

[​IMG]

my mod was to place a "paper heatsink" that transfers heat through the paper. specifically i bought this one: http://www.okidensen.co.jp/english/prod/cool/staff.html
    don't mind the shady engrish (yes i'm japanese so i can make fun of my country :p). i cut a size of the sheet a bit bigger than the chip for the heat to run off to, and pasted it on between what i imagine to be the heatshield and the southbridge. the trouble was that everything is spaced so tightly that even <1mm has the potential of blooming your palm rest/touchpad area out in some parts. yes it did happen when i did something else and had to promptly take the laptop apart again.

anyways once you've opened up the 2 halves of the laptop, the downside is that you absolutely will have disconnected the touchpad connector. fortunately it doesn't rip the connector, just disconnects it (hopefully). and that is a real chore to get back on, the reason being that the connector is just long enough so that the top and bottom panels have to be almost closed all the way for it to clip properly. i literally had to disassemble/reassemble about 5 times since the connector wasn't properly inside the clip when i thought it was. what finally worked was using a chopstick right underneath (or above if you're working right side up) the clip and just "closing" the 2 halves on it. hard to explain, i wish i had a picture. whatever the case it's frustrating and scary.

[​IMG]

in the pic above you can see the connector leading off the touchpad and the brown clip it connects to directly under it. in the back left at the "hinge" of the two panels you can see the speaker connector (another short connector i advise you not to pull out), the keyboard connector, and 2 more connectors for stuff i don't know.

after that, it's just putting everything back together.

that's pretty much it. if you can get the touchpad connector back in its clip and have it work the first time around, i will be impressed. of course, i'm not too much of a handyman so it doesn't take much to impress me.

i hope this was somewhat helpful in understanding how the t5010 is put together. after doing it once, it's a simple process that takes no longer than 10 minutes. unscrewing the screws takes the most time. oh and the touchpad connector.

lastly, i apologize for not having more comprehensive and useful pictures, as
    well as not being sure on several points. mainly regarding which screws actually need to be unscrewed. despite taking it apart so many times i didn't document what i could leave screwed in.

ok well have fun. and again, i don't recommend you take it apart unless you know what you're doing. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi bait,

Looks like the disassembly is fun for the T5010, bit of a challenge as you noted with that rear clip there. But, unlike the T4220 or the T2010 where one has to almost completely disassemble the system just to access the CPU, the T5010 is perhaps the easiest of the models to date to access the CPU to, say, replace that thermal gel. :)

Anyways, great guide and certainly this will help some folks who want to know how to disassemble their own T5010 (provided that their warranty has expire or they want to void it).

I think for ease of access to the processor, it'd be:
    T5010 > T2010/T2020 > T4220 and older. :)

EDIT: By the way, was there a heatsink for the Intel GMA chipset? (sixth photo, right to the fan)? Just curious.

3. bait

bait Pen Pal - Newbie

you're right, access to the cpu is certainly easy on the t5010. now that i think of it, i guess no one in their right mind would really need to go as far as i did haha. there's really not much to accomplish once inside, besides maybe trying to do what i wanted to. now i feel like i didn't really contribute as much as i had originally thought.... -_-; lol oh well.
    as for the gma chipset, it was pretty much just a slab of thin metal covering it. i guess that could be called a heatsink or just another heatshield.

4. psydeways

psydeways Pen Pal - Newbie

Bait,
    Thank you for posting this. I had to disassemble a Fujitsu T1010 and your T5010 disassembly instructions worked perfectly on the T1010. I am happy to add the solution to the touchpad connector problem: remove the keyboard as explained below. This worked for me, but of course, it's risky and probably violates your warranty.

SO:
    1st, on the T1010, I also removed the memory & optical drive.

After tweaking whatever inside the case and re-closing the case, flip over and open the computer to notebook position. On either side of the swivel hinge (above the function keys) are two more square rubber plugs - remove them & the two screws below them.
    [​IMG]
    Press down the middle function keys and use a flat blade or screwdriver to gently pry up the plastic trim above the keyboard. It is flexible & clips under the outside edges, so gently prying up in the middle won't break it. Pop it out (you may have to swivel the display a bit).
    [​IMG]
    Now gently push the keyboard up toward the space when the trim was. The keyboard has a ribbon cable at the upper left, so be gentle.
    [​IMG]
    Under the keyboard you will see an opening in the case to allow you to reconnect the touchpad ribbon cable. The tiny plastic socket for the ribbon cable can be opened (from bottom - opens same position as the display lid), so use a tiny screwdriver to open it, push in the ribbon cable & snap the socket closed.
    [​IMG]

That's it.

Put away your chopsticks.

5. bait

bait Pen Pal - Newbie

i like your way much much better! haha no doubt that is the way it was meant to be taken apart and put together. thanks for showing how to do that. as you probably found out from reading my instructions versus doing things your way, i'm not too good with taking things apart. and now i'm embarrassed. :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.