Disabling one of the dual processors on R1F.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by P8RSON, Oct 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deepak

deepak Scribbler - Standard Member

hey guys i was reading an article about the core 2 duo's month back and i found that there will be provision in the future from intel and/or the bios provider to disable one of the two cores when needed to conserve power. really neat ehh!!

does anone know if the asus R1F has this ability. if yes this would really help the battery performance since i don't need a dual core power to take down notes in class.

thanks

2. sxm

sxm Pen Pal - Newbie

hmm... ive read somewhere that not all computers come w/ 2 cores fully enabled taking full use of the 2 cores and that you have to enable it in the registry.

i dont know if that means only 1 core is running tho.

3. deepak

thats not true, every dual core has both processors running by default. thats why they are colled cual cores otherwise they would be solos (read about the core solo below). but you can disable them provided the manufacture provides the option. you can confirm that both dual cores are running by going to windows task manager and click on performance, it'll show you two processors for dual cores (and also for single core processors enabled with hyperthreading).

secondly, i am pretty sure that windows registry doesn't have anything to do with it. what i assume is that from windows registry you can control whether the operating system uses the dual processors or not, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the second core is disabled, its just that windows ain't using it. to disable it i am pretty sure you have to do fit rom bios and i think probably from the manufacturers battery management software, if it supports it. check this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core

Core solo's note: this is interesting to know that core solos are actually core duo's but with one of the cores deactivated. after production when one of the cores is found to be defective, intel deactivates it and sells the chip as core solo. interestingly they seem to have a lot of defective dual cores only then can they start with a core solo line!!!

4. deepak

sorry in my above reply the hyperlink was supposed to be with the core solo paragraph.

5. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No problem but also bear in mind you can edit your posts and alter any of the information you have previously entered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.