Disable the horizontal sidebar in Onenote?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Zimoich, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Zimoich

Zimoich Pen Pal - Newbie

Can anyone help me with a solution to either just remove, disable or flip-to-top the horizontal scrollbar in Onenote 2010.

I´m taking note in class with my HP TM2, while inking in onenote the horizontal scrollbar reacts to my palm and skips to the right even though I´m in the middle of a word/figure. This is a huge problem for me at least. Been inking in class for 1½ year, and this problem is becoming worse and worse. Or at least irritates me more.

It look___________s like this.

Have searched the web/forum and every menu that I can find.

Anyone?

2. legendaryflatulis

legendaryflatulis Pen Pal - Newbie

Unfortunately I don't see an option for moving the h-scroll bar to the top. The vertical scroll can be moved to the left or right but the bottom h scroll appears to be locked to the bottom.

MS has a feature suggestion forum. It wouldn't hurt to give your input about moving the h scroll bar.

https://connect.microsoft.com/onenote/Feedback

EDIT: forgot to ask but does the TM2 have palm rejection when you're writing on the screen?

3. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey Zimoich,

I've just written this AutoHotkey script to disable the horizontal scrollbar and one to disable both the vertical and horizontal scrollbar in OneNote 2010. You can toggle the scrollbars on/off by clicking the tray icon or with Ctrl+w. When you launch the script (which you can put in the Windows startup folder if desired), the scrollbars are not disabled: to disable them, just click the tray icon. It works very well for me on my EP121 running Win7 64 bits. Does it work for you? If not just report back here and I'll see what I can do.
    For this to work, you will need to have AutoHotkey installed on your computer. It's available here:
    AutoHotkey Download
    Just download and install the "Installer for AutoHotkey Basic".

Then just double-click on my script, available in the zip file below (to close the script, just right-click on the tray icon and select Exit).

Attached Files:

cicciopanzo and Druid like this.
  4. photonsponge

photonsponge Pen Pal - Newbie

Your script is the only solution I've seen on the web! Thank you for providing such a useful tool free of charge. Note to others: I did not think the script was working at first because I had expected the scroll bars to be hidden. The bars persist but are simply frozen.

(Samsung series 7 slate; Windows 7 64 bit with Onenote 2010)

5. brenasuarus

brenasuarus Pen Pal - Newbie

For those of you wondering, this works on OneNote 2013 as well. I'm running Win 8.1 32-bit on a Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2.

To reiterate:
    1. Download/Install AutoHotkey
    2. Download scripts gracious provided by lblb
    3. Unzip, double-click, then single-click on tray icon for the AutoHotkey script running (should be a green square).
    In OneNote 2013 this completely removes the scroll bars.

Thanks lblb!

6. lblb

Wow @Druid and @brenasuarus! You guys resuscitated something I had forgotten about! I prepared this what now seems like ages ago! Let me know if you encounter any problems. Also, if you want I can easily convert it to a .exe file so you don't have to install AutoHotkey. Anyway, enjoy!

Druid likes this.
  7. brenasuarus

brenasuarus Pen Pal - Newbie

So after testing it out for a day on OneNote 2013, I've come into a problem: the script not only disables the scroll bars, but it disables the navigation bar - making it impossible to switch between pages of notes (I'm writing on PowerPoint slides that are inserted into OneNote). Was this true for using it on OneNote 2010 as well? Any way around this?

The whole reason I'm trying to disable the scroll bars is for some reason OneNote likes to get stuck in scroll-bar-navigation-mode-only for about 10 seconds at a time while I'm taking notes. This drives me CRAZY because I can't pan around the screen with my finger during this time - I have to manually drag the scroll bar. This slows me down immensely while taking notes in class. Perhaps there's another solution to this problem? My tablet has palm-rejection and a Wacom digitizer if that helps at all.

8. x230t_rocks

x230t_rocks Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks a lot! Great script! (running windows 7, onenote 2013 on x230t)

9. lblb

@x230t_rocks
    Cool, I'm glad you like it! This might be one of the first scripts I ever shared here!

10. telly

telly Pen Pal - Newbie

haha 3 years later and I'm still using this script. Works like a charm!