Disable the Action Center touch screen swipe feature

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by thatcomicsguy, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ha! Killed it.

When using an art program to draw full screen, I would find myself accidentally pulling out the Windows 10 "Action Center" whenever my finger would slide across the screen edge from the right. Which means, constantly.

A lot of searching reveals that there's no good way to stop this common "feature" from pestering people. You can turn it off using registry changes, but only for the touchpad, not the touch screen.

But...

A lot more searching revealed a way to finally disable it. Hargh!

(This also disables the Windows Start button in the corner. They both apparently use the same piece of code. Be aware of that. -So put any icons you need on the desktop. -You can still right click on the start button to get to the regular important features, such as "powering down" and "file explorer".)

Anyway, here's how. It's a multi-step process, (learned entirely from this site), Microsoft has it baked deep in its code, but it can be done. I've tried to make it simple:

1. Download this registry script.

2. Unzip it.

3. Double click "Take Ownership - Install.reg"

4. Now you have the option of taking ownership of those frigging cryptic system folders in one click. There are other ways, but they are deliberately obfuscated by MS; I guess they figure that unless you've taken one of their Windows engineering courses, you're not the sort of person they want poking around inside your own computer. Anyway, you now own your system. -When you right click a folder, you will see the option, "Take Ownership". Good.

5. Navigate to, right click on and Take Ownership of this folder: "C:\Windows\SystemApps"

6. Wait while the script runs.

7. Now open SystemApps and find this file: "Windows.UI.ActionCenter.dll" (It's in: C:\Windows\SystemApps\ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy)

8. That .dll controls the action center. You can now change it without Windows smacking your hand. -Don't delete it, because you might want to re-instate it later. Just rename it. I renamed mine, "Windows.UI.ActionCenter-disabled.dll" Windows can no longer find it. Good.

9. Close everything up and re-start your computer.

10. Now.., the Action Center is no longer accessible by touch swiping. Hooray!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    stoneseeker and Marty like this.
  2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

do you miss XP yet?? :)

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

Well.., Win 10 has some pretty features, and it's nice to be able to use the touch interface and all that, but...

I never felt with WinXP that if I let my guard down the OS would try to sneak tentacles into my brain!

I get the distinct impression that Win 10 is lying to me all the time, doesn't want me knowing certain things or poking around outside the green zone, has an agenda I never signed up for, and is just smiling on the surface, waiting for me to turn my back. -Example: I wanted to try out OneNote to see what the stylus response was like. As it happens, you can't even turn it on without an internet connection and MS manhandling your whole user account. I couldn't even re-access the desktop until I'd remembered some stupid password I'd entered -which I just thought I needed to get OneNote running and would never use again. But it turns out MS reset everything for the whole computer! Holy crap! Good thing I didn't simply keyboard mash. I mean, how offensive is that?

-They literally don't want you turning on your computer without them being alerted. What a bunch of crud. I wonder now if the NSA or somebody is gleefully hoping to learn more about me through hand writing analysis. Yuck!

WinXP might have started that way, but over the years, it was de-fanged and its venomous little heart rendered inert. -Like monster bones turned into useful tools.

You can be sure that I'll be keeping up with the various registry hacks necessary to pound stakes into this OS. Though, these days, I don't doubt for a moment that the chips themselves are all running secretive little spy programs. (Heck, that isn't even a secret anymore.) Intel's main fabrication plants are set up in Israel, after all; spy central for the planet.

Sigh.

So Yes. The answer is Yes. Hope they catch the bad guys soon, so we can all get back to normal. (Har har!)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I wonder what OS ol' Edward Snowden would recommend using? :) I guess Linux maybe...

I am still stuck in the land of Windows 7. Don't fix what isn't broken for my aging T902. I have windows updates shut off and everything runs for working from home as it should (aside from a hardware issue with a portion of the screen which I'm too busy to fix).

I will eventually purchase a new machine and be forced into the Windows 10 world, but I'm hoping that arriving late to the scene will mean you guys will have ironed all the wrinkles for me and with a few easy steps will be able to avoid the nightmares your going through now. Who knows, maybe Windows will hand back the power to users who want it with an update and see value in distancing themselves from the Mac user environment. That would be nice.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. thatcomicsguy

I'm noodling with the idea of trying to install Win7 on my Dell. But I'd need a spare hard drive and free weekend to do it. I'm not sure if I have the patience or the time these days!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.