Disable connected standby: Get advanced power profile access and reduce CPU power usage by 25% by undervolt

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by jeffp898, Jun 21, 2014.

1. jeffp898

jeffp898 Pen Pal - Newbie

Connected standby is cool but it is a battery drain and waking up from sleep takes about 1.5sec longer. Disabling it allows you to create power profiles and edit the advanced options such as keeping processor actively or passively cooled and settings wifi power management etc.

Re: How to disable connected standby? - Lenovo Community

Follow the above directions to disable connected standby. A bonus also allows for a more stable undervolt using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. I could not get any stable undervolt with connected standby active and if I hit the power button it would reboot 10 seconds later. It might just be my device. Using sleep instead I have no problems. I wont give direct instructions for undervolting with intel extreme tuning utility because it is not for everyone and if you do not know the pros and cons of it already then you may want to avoid it. It is really easy and just involves adjusting sliders and no I don't think it can cause long term damage but it will make your computer run cooler and use less battery.

I undervolted my CPU core by -65mv, CPU cache by -160mv, GPU by -75mv and I am stable. That is close to a 0.3V reduction on the chip which can equal some serious battery life and decrease temperatures which means it will throttle less. I also disabled short duration power boost so my chip can turbo boost to 25W as long as it wants but it seems Microsoft as an internal regulator that drops the processor to 1.2ghz and GPU really low when there is a period of increased temps beyond 80C. I will look into getting around it. Assumning an average of about 10-20amps run through the chip it will mean you are reducing the power usage by about 3W-6W!!

2. wiidesire-2

wiidesire-2 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah those two points, disabling connected standby and undervolting will be the first thing I'll do when I get my SP3

3. kontrol1

kontrol1 Scribbler - Standard Member

This is interesting.

Please report back once you are able to disable connected stand by in SP3.

Thanks

4. docangle

docangle Pen Pal - Newbie

I made the change to the registry and rebooted. It seemed to work, but I can't enable sleep, I only have the option for Hibernation.

5. nbk5nat

nbk5nat Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the same result. Although I'm getting great battery life now (over 10+ hrs)

demandarin likes this.
  6. wiidesire-2

wiidesire-2 Scribbler - Standard Member

My God. Now imagine the i3 version. I'm so excited :)

7. nbk5nat

nbk5nat Pen Pal - Newbie

With connected standby restored I checked the usage of the CPU and my settings for max CPU is still there. This is a good workaround for more battery life. I created my own registry settings that I have for the maximum CPU at 70% and at 100%. Its a pain in the butt to have to run a script each time I want to set the CPU maximum but I can live with it for now. Still enjoying my 10+ hrs of battery lol.

demandarin likes this.
  8. darthhen

darthhen Scribbler - Standard Member

Nbk5nat, what was the battery life you were seeing prior to disabling CS? Thanks.

9. nbk5nat

nbk5nat Pen Pal - Newbie

I was averaging 8 hrs. A mix of web browsing and HD YouTube videos while working in excel.

10. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interesting.
    Me to I will disable connected standby as I always shut down my windows tablet when I'm not using it more than 1-2 hours,especially when the boot time is very very short.
    Also I'm not trusting windows connected standby as iOS or android because some times may have issue with the tablet for example not booting at all or battery drain issue.

Sent from my iPad Mini Retina using Tapatalk