directx 10

Discussion in 'Asus' started by henryhu, Jan 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. henryhu

henryhu Pen Pal - Newbie

Anybody knows if I can use directx 10 on a external graphic card like the xg station and when it's unplugged, it switches to directx 9 for the gma950? If I can, then I will buy the xg station for sure to play high end games like crytek that even the PS3 cannnot run.

2. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'd be working under the assumption that the xg takes over all graphics functions, so if you use a Nvidia 8800 in the xg, you'll get support for DX10.

Personally, I'll wait for the reviews to come out before considering it.

3. MilestonePC.com

MilestonePC.com Scribbler - Standard Member

Basicaly that's right.

The XG station will only power an external monitor, not your laptop LCD.
    So yes, the XG station offers the ability for users to game, especially those with integrated cards.

Currently the XG Station is said to have a 7900 GS, which is not DX10, but I hope this sparks a market in the external graphics products, so that other brands jump into this market providing their products as well.

I would also recommend to wait for reviews to come out before you buy it, it is stated to be highly priced at 600$.

But yes, unplug the XG station, and you can use the laptop with your GMA950 for your basic work and for when your traveling or at school or work.

4. The Niles

The Niles Scribbler - Standard Member

Also no current DX10 card will fit inside the XG station at the moment. You would have to wait for DX10 capable cards to be released that are not extra long.

5. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

I suppose one might cut a hole in the side to make a 8800 fit if you were really desperate for DX 10 on your laptop/tablet.

6. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Cutting holes in cards is highly not recommended.

7. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

I meant in the plastic shell of the XG station. Though, for the record, it is highly not recommended to cut holes in anything computer related save holes in desktop cases for fans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.