Direct comparison reviews

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Barry J. Doyle, Dec 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bhaltair

Bhaltair Pen Pal - Newbie

I hope the site admins don't get angry about posting this in two places.

I've been having a discussion with others on another website's forum and it's been a direct comparison of the Fujitsu ST5000 series and Electrovaya's SC3000. They both seem to be great machines from what I've read, and where one falters, the other shines brightly.
    Some things I've seen from sellers or websites is that the SC3000 has a pressure sensitive screen (obviously the Fujitsu doesn't have one), marks well on their Mobile Mark tests (where the Fujitsu didn't even complete it), and it has a superior processor. The Fujitsu has Bluetooth (I can't think of a way that Electrovaya's machine can get around this unless you can get a card to put in their machine to incorporate this) a great design and has power USB ports where the SC3000 doesn't.

I'm going to be making my decision this weekend or this next week on which machine to buy. I'm a college student at WWU in finance, and I really love the capability of these machines to be ultra portable and great note takers and lecture recorders.

I would really love to see a direct comparison to these machines if you could give a review like that. I have read the reviews on this site (and all reviews that I can find for that matter) and they have helped greatly. However, different users are rating these and with different scales. The Fujitsu was rated on aspects that the Electrovaya wasn't. Also, there were tests with different programs performed. How can the end user see these ratings and compare them to each other if they are on different scales of measurement?
    Up until 2 days ago I was really sold on the Fujitsu, but with reading results of tests done on the video and reading posts where a few users had major problems with the screens going bad on them is starting to dissuade me from thinking it's the best choice. With Electrovaya's superior processor, over 1 gig of memory, etc., it's looking to be my choice once again.

Can you help with a direct comparison? Pictures of them side by side? Tests done with the same software and ratings done on the same scale?
    I know I'd appreciate this more than any other help I've received until now, and countless other users would feel the same I'm sure.

Thank you for your time and effort to this site - it helps.

Sincerely,
    Me

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wow, I would love to help you out quickly, however we spend weeks to write our reviews and to do a comprhensive analysis and comparison between the two would certainly take too long to post in your purchase time frame. Here is what I suggest - please tell us exactly how you plan to use your tablet. Think about the very top "five tasks" (i.e. graphic design or note taking) you will use it for and rank them 1-5. We can do the best we can to recommend the right machine for you.

Barry

3. Bhaltair

I know it's a large task to do this, but I just thought that this is important if your site actually wants to help people in their purchase decisions on tablet pcs.
    I'm primarily going to use this for note taking, lecture recording, doing on-campus homework, and basically anything college related. I walk to school (about a mile each way) and I want something ultra portable and that will last me all day.
    The graphics are mostly for a hobby, but I felt it'd be fun to finally be able to use Adobe Illustrator or some program like that with a pen. Again, this is just for fun.
    My problem is that I love the look of the Fujitsu, but posts on laptopmag.com and zdnet has shown that the SC-3000 did well on Mobile Mark tests, but the ST-50xx didn’t even complete the tests. I believe this was due to their video chip and lower memory, but I think that the video is a large issue, don’t you? The SC-3000 has the 128mb chip and the ST5000 has what, 32m? I’ve also read plenty of posts where the Fujitsus have plenty of people that their digitizers or screens went out on them, and they had to replace them. I also notice their warranty for screen replacements, 2 each year. I don’t want to pay for this if it’s a known problem and a big concern. Actually, I think the SC-3000 (to me) looks like a perfect machine, excluding the lack of Bluetooth and powered USB ports. If I do pick the sc-3000, I’ll really miss the Bluetooth keyboard option. I’m not sure how usable the SC-3000’s attached keyboard will perform. I also like the option of having more protection on the ST5000 with an otterbox since I don’t see an option like that for the SC3000. Durability will be a must since I’m not wealthy.
    The Fujitsus do look like great machines. My concern is mostly the posts I’ve read where users have screen problems that need repair and the power-lacking video chip. I also would like to see some sort of test to show how much slower the 1.2 ultra low voltage chip is compared to the 1.5 low voltage (with stepspeed?) chip that the SC-3000 has.
    Truthfully, I can wait until sometime around Christmas to purchase this, but I really would like to get it in my hands by then so I could have at least a week to practice how I’ll take notes since I am really going to try to implement this by January 3rd, when my next bout of classes start. I’m a finance major and I plan on scanning my books and taking notes primarily.
    Not to repeat myself, but I’d pick the Fujitsu if it had a better video card (if the 1.2ghz chip is actually good) and I’d pick the SC-3000 if it had Bluetooth. I have looked at the X41, the SC-3000, the ST5000’s, and a few convertibles that I have decided I don’t want to lug around. Heat and quietness will be a major factor to me besides lightweight portability.
    Thank you for your help Barry. This is a huge order I know. Is there any way you could help? You’re the only place I know that would actually have these two machines side by side. Everyone else on every other forum are talking from one point of view since they don’t have both machines and/or have never had experience with both.

Thank you very much for your time and effort.
    Walter

4. Bhaltair

I wrote another message, and even read it on this board, but now it's gone.
    Both of these slates have many things in common so I won't put down like portability, long battery life, etc.
    I don't want a laggy system, and I don't want to buy something that will totally be outdated in 2 years.
    1. Note taking and Lecture recording at the same time without lag.
    2. Homework with some Excel work (This is the only thing that makes me wonder about a slate).
    3. WIFI applications such as E-mail, etc. (Our campus is one of the most wired campuses, or so it's been rated). This brings me to the question of Intel vs. Atheros - what's the difference? I'm not sure what my school supports, but it's top of the line whatever it is.
    4. I will be writing papers etc. at school and doing other homework too, so using the keyboard will be useful, but only when I need it. This is why I almost choose the lower chip and video card on the Fujitsu because I love their Bluetooth keyboard.
    5. DURABILITY. This should be rated at the top to be honest. I love the otter box capability of the Fujitsu. I backpack to college and carry everything around in a backpack currently. I walk over a mile to school and from school and go to at least 3 to 4 classes a day.
    6. Hobby - I will want to draw once in a while in Adobe Illustrator. This is not a major concern at all - just a desire.
    7. Large Hard drive. I want a fast, large hard drive since I'll be scanning and storing my books on this machine and will be recording lectures daily - at least 2 classes a day (these classes are 2 hours usually).

Again, I'd pick Fujitsu on design and the items that you can get with it to make it more versatile, but I'd pick Electrovaya because of the actual machine.
    I just hate how Electrovaya doesn't have Bluetooth.. if it did there'd be no contest in my opinion.

I'll be indoors mostly, but I have a feeling during the summer I'll be outdoors a lot. How's the SC-3000 in the outdoors?
    Does Fujitsu's indoor/outdoor screen lack luster in the indoors? I don't want to compromise my indoor experience because I'll be outdoors. I've heard SC3000 is good in either, but I'm not sure.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope you can decypher my garbage.

5. Barry J. Doyle

I can advise you on the screen choice. The Fujitsu indoor/outdoor screen does not look as good indoors as the standard display. I don't know first hand about the Electrovaya screen, but I think it is safe to assume that you will face the same issue depending on which screen you choose. Both models can be configured with large hard drives. I personally can't see you going wrong with either model (with the exception of internal Bluetooth on the Fujitsu which the Electrovaya lacks). I would configure both machines with the current pricing and see which one is the better buy.

6. Bhaltair

They're both actually very comparable in price. Giving the 1.2 ghz chip with 2gigs of ram and an 80 gig hard drive is about the same price as the 1.5 1.2 gig memory with 120 gig hd...

7. Bhaltair

Barry,
    All in all you don't see the chip difference to be a big deal? The processor and video chip difference?

8. Bhaltair

Does the Fujitsu have an eraser on the pen? Does the Electrovaya?

9. Barry J. Doyle

Both, but only certain apps. include the features to support the eraser.

10. Bhaltair

Ok I've called Fujitsu and have found some great news -
    The Fujitsu 5030's have the upgraded video chip so my concerns have been wiped. Everything that Fujitsu comes with will far outweigh the .3ghz difference in the chips.
    I'm making my order tomorrow. Thank you for helping Barry :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.