Digitizer Testing on Windows 8 RTM

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Marty, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

A lot of people are probably considering switching over to Windows 8 at the moment, but have concerns over the digitizer problems that have been reported.

I've put together a table detailing the digitizer performance on Windows 8 RTM x64, with various common tablet applications.

The first table shows the performance with the default drivers.

The second table shows performance after installing three Wacom driver packages on top of each other: 707-4 Mod + 706-6 + 709-5.

See the attached file for the detailed table of results. Differences between the tables are marked in bold and outlined.

In general, my build enables pressure sensitivity at the expense of palm rejection for some applications. For more information, see the full post at CF77's thread.

(UPDATE: I noticed with the Wacom drivers installed, Sketchbook Designer loses pressure sensitivity after waking from sleep. Restart the Tablet ISD service to restore it.)

(UPDATE 2: IllustStudio can have pressure sensitivity with stock drivers, if you change the input mode to TabletPC instead of the default WinTab)

(UPDATE 3: Sketchbook Pro 6 has pressure sensitivity with stock drivers)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. kurt_hectic

kurt_hectic Scribbler - Standard Member

True, For now stick win win7 if you need to draw on asus.

3. Marty

If you use ArtRage, the default Windows 8 drivers perform very well. As far as I know, Photoshop CS6 doesn't play well with the digitizer on Windows 7 either.

With Wacom drivers installed as I mentioned, the pressure sensitivity and pen response is quite good in Painter and IllustStudio. They are definitely usable in Windows 8. Only for Sketchbook and Artrage is the lack of palm rejection noticeably annoying on Windows 8 (with Wacom drivers).

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Marty: A very nice piece of work. Thanks for going to the trouble of testing all these applications.

5. Marty

No problem Steve, it's always a pleasure to be to contribute to this great community :)

6. kurt_hectic

Maybe merge this 2 topics about win 8?

7. SaintXx

SaintXx Pen Pal - Newbie

I had to uninstall the EETI from Device Manager and restart the tablet before the digitizer would work with pressure sensitivity in Art Rage.

Is this anyone else's experience?

8. kurt_hectic

Yes, also with (y)eeti i had 8cm offset with touch input. Now it's ok.

9. SaintXx

SaintXx Pen Pal - Newbie

8cm touch offset?!! Yikes!!! :eek:

10. blackmonday

blackmonday Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm running Windows 8 RTM on a Samsung Slate 7 and none of the drivers specified in this thread work. They all return the following error when launched, "A supported tablet was not found on the system". I've not found any way to enable pressure sensitivity with this device so far. :(

----

I kept trying and was successful in installing the drivers. All is working now. :)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.