Digitizer Problem with T734

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by ronr9286t, Jan 30, 2015.

1. ronr9286t

ronr9286t Scribbler - Standard Member

So I won a T734 on the Outlet. I'm using to replace an aging desktop. It has Win 8.1 Pro 64, 8gb RAM and a 128gb SSD. It has been working flawlessly in the 3 weeks that I've had it.

When I booted it up yesterday morning (after an overnight Windows upgrade), the touchscreen and Wacom digitizer were inoperative. The rest of the system's functionality worked as before. The digitizer is not found on the Human Interface section of Device Manager, and reloading the drivers won't work as the message is "No tablet device found on system" comes up.

I tried restoring from an earlier restore point, spent a while on the phone with Fujitsu support, and even went to the Microsoft Store. Nothing worked.

I wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas before I do a complete system restore to see if that works. If not, it could be a hardware issue and I'll need to send it in to Fujitsu.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Ron

2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Run Wacom Hardware Check. If your digitizer is detected, download the new drivers and make sure it reinstalls the firmware. If it's not detected, send the device for repair, there is a hardware or firmware problem.

3. ronr9286t

Well, after working on the problem all day on Thursday (without success), I had to leave on a business trip Friday Morning. Arrived home this evening, booted up theT734, and lo and behold, the touch screen and Wacom digitizer are back! I ran the Wacom Hardware Check utility to discover the Wacom, and it was found. Now I do not know if I have an intermittent hardware issue, or is was a Windows hiccup. I still have about 60 days left on the warrantee, so I'll just keep using it for now. Thanks for the suggestion on the utility.

Ron

4. ronr9286t

Later in the day of this post, touch and stylus died again. Took it to a Fujitsu authorized service center her in the SF Bay area (thought I'd save time if it was just a loose cable). They diagnosed a bad screen needing replacement. Turns out the part was back ordered, and yesterday, 37 days later, picked up the T734. Working well so far.

I must be a glutton for punishment, as I bid on and won another T734 for my wife to use. I'm not sure if it will work out for her as it seems awfully heavy, but 4th gen i5, 128gb SSD yields improved performance over her current device (although for her uses, fast boot time is all she'll probably notice).

Fingers now crossed on reliability of both machines.

Ron

Starlight5 likes this.
  5. utopian201

utopian201 Scribbler - Standard Member

Have you had any further reliability issues with the T734? I have had a T732 which has developed a fault about every 6 months (currently on its 7th warranty claim) and I have been currently waiting 2 months for the current repair to complete (fauly hdmi port). Fujitsu USA have agreed to give me a replacement, but they have no more T732 in stock and have offered me a T734

6. ronr9286t

No more serious issues with my T734 and I got another one from the Fujitsu Outlet for my wife. Both have been relatively problem-free with one exception. If you tilt either one of them, the screen rotates to portrait and cannot be automatically returned to landscape. It may be that the lid has to be closed to get it to return to landscape, but I have not yet tried it enough times to see if that is a reliable fix. Otherwise, great workhorse machines.

Ron

7. utopian201

utopian201 Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks
    What ram configuration do you have in them (eg 4+4) and is it dual channel?

8. ronr9286t

I'm on the road so I cannot tell you the exact RAM Specs, other than both computers have 8 GB ram, 128GB SSD, and Windows 8.1 pro.

Ron