Digitizer and Screen

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by SaintXx, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaintXx

SaintXx Pen Pal - Newbie

Is it possible for the supplied Wacom digitizer to damage the screen from constant handwriting / sketching? I'm talking frequent useage with consideration taken to not write or sketch with too heavy pressure on the screen.

Having just gotten my EP121 back from a series of screen replacements - and twice having little spots of light bleed appear on the middle of the screen after a few weeks of useage this is my next worry - that somehow writing on the screen damages it.

2. Mrono

Mrono Scribbler - Standard Member

i'm not sure about the display section but i'm always worried about it damaging the surface of the screen

3. SaintXx

SaintXx Pen Pal - Newbie

That would be another worry, sure.

I guess my questions would be - how long have you owned yours? Do you use the digitizer frequently? If you use it frequently is your screen OK or has handwriting taken some toll on it? What kind of toll?

I'm kind of walking on egg shells here while I use this new screen...

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...i'm always worried about...damaging the surface of the screen..>>

...This is why screen protectors exist. There are several discussion threads on this topic and numerous isolated remarks. A simple forum search should give you plenty of reading material.

I use the SGP Steinheil screen protector, which is cut to shape and comes in a couple of different versions (anti-glare and crystal clear). You can find it on Amazon...

Good luck.

5. SaintXx

SaintXx Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the product recommend, Steve. I think I'll get it.

I did do a search and found some results regarding scratches on the screen however my main concern is discovering light bleeding through in little spots after a few weeks of useage - twice now.

I'm assuming this problem, even for heavy stylus users, is not common at all and if so that's a relief - confirmation would be nice though. Maybe something in my original slate was defective and harming the display and its subsequent replacements.

I guess my best bet is a screen protector... for multiple reasons.

6. Steve S

<<...my main concern is discovering light bleeding through in little spots after a few weeks of useage...>>

...A properly designed and constructed LCD display should not exhibit this type of flaw as the result of normal use (including inking). Given the number of posts on this forum about LCD defects of one sort or another, one might infer that Asus is having some quality control problems with their display provider.

The only thing that you can do is to use your slate. If a defect re-appears, bug Asus to fix it. Asus will not be motivated to pressure their suppliers for improved quality unless we customers complain...

Good luck.

7. SaintXx

SaintXx Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks so much for the thoughtful reply.

I've had some bad luck with my tablet, I did the due diligence and bugged them until I received a satisfactory screen. I'll now use it normally and hope it's good luck and good news from here on in!

:)

8. kurt_hectic

kurt_hectic Scribbler - Standard Member

After 2-4 years every wacom tablet have hole on the middle. I have it on 3x inuos and old cintiq. So users should use screen protectors.

But if you got it after few weeks....that's another issue.

9. fa6ade

fa6ade Pen Pal - Newbie

Won't the gorilla glass protect it though? I wouldn't have thought the plastic pen would be able to scratch it. The only time I've managed to even slightly scratch it was when I cleaned it, even then it was unnoticable.

10. Steve S

<<...The only time I've managed to even slightly scratch it was when I cleaned it...>>

fa: I presume that you're cleaning your screen with something a lot softer than a plastic pen nib, yet the screen ended up with scratches.

What does that tell you...???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.