Digital Planners or Digital Bullet Journalling

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by DRTigerlilly, Apr 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Many of you might have seen my previous thread, bemoaning the lack of ink-enabled applications, specifically in the planner aspect of things.

Since that post, i've come across many groups on Facebook and videos on YouTube for what is apparently a burgeoning field on iOS. Digital Journalling/Planning specifically Digital Bullet Journalling or DigiBuJo.

Despite previously saying that I wanted integration with Outlook or some kind of online Calendar management service, I decided to try Ortox's off the grid style of doing things.

On iOS the go-to app seems to be GoodNotes, which i've personally never used, but the files are actually linked PDF's which got me thinking.

Enter my first (clumsy) attempt at making a Digital Journal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Wow. That looks super not-digital!

Is that a template or something that you Photoshopped together?

It looks good!

3. DRTigerlilly

it's shopped together.

But there are whole communities which actually create and sell templates.

I guess the only thing truly digital about it, is that you're using a computer/tablet instead of paper and pen. and there are other communities which go the whole actual analog creation of journals and scrapbooks and the like with stickers, and highlighters, coloured pens and all manner of other things.

I like pretty things, but I haven't got a creative bone in my body.

Edit: I'm also simultaneously perplexed as I mentioned in my other post, that there seems to be these whole communities on iOS along with application development that just does not seem to exist on the Windows and Tablet PC side of things.

When I look at videos of the applications or see them in real world use, the ease of use that I see on iOS, as much as I like Windows flexibility and customizability, is where Tablet PC's should be.
    sad really...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Where do you find those templates?
    I searched AppStore but came up empty handed.

5. DRTigerlilly

not the app store , Etsy and other creative sites.

Edit: Also i've seen some say they just looked for printable digital planners and used those or modified them by adding links etc in keynote/powerpoint. Like these.

So mine is linked pdf with some 60+ pages all linked, so I can click around the monthly & weekly spreads.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    doobiedoobiedum and Kumabjorn like this.
  6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I've been using a Bullet Journal this year using OneNote. I've used a few templates - this month I'm using an Excel Template that I modified (I use Outlook for Calendaring).

Next month I'm using a Cornell Notes Template that I printed to OneNote from PenBook. Jan-Mar I made my own - I haven't decided which I like better yet.

What I really want is Ink support in Microsoft "To Do" (it recognizes the ink API already but doesn't actually render).

djas and DRTigerlilly like this.
  7. ORTOX

ORTOX Scribbler - Standard Member

@DRTigerlilly Thanks for this post! When I was looking for a digital Franklin Planner I recall coming across templates like this on Etsy.

Being a bit OneNote obsessed, a PDF option didn't really blip on my radar. You're journal looks quite nice!

I had not been using my OneNote Planner for a while but your previous topic renewed my interest in it. I've been using it again the past few days.

The one benefit to OneNote is the ability to create Outlook tasks based on handwritten notes. And if you use OneNote Gem, you can create Outlook calendar appointments too. I don't feel like paying for OneNote Gem though :p A couple of things to note if you're looking for that sort of connectivity with such an off the grid digital journal / planner. Since Microsoft To Do pulls in tasks from Outlook, this could be a roundabout way to get inked tasks into To Do.

I will admit, writing in a digital planner doesn't feel natural yet like pen to paper. Hopefully this will change with practice. I just have to remind myself that by going digital, I don't have to carry around a binder, I always have access to the entire year (not just 3 months which is the norm for a normal Franklin Covey binder), and my notes can't be lost or destroyed.

djas, lovelaptops and DRTigerlilly like this.
  8. DRTigerlilly

If OneNote handled PDF's natively instead of treating them like photos, it would make life so much easier!

You're right that writing in digital planners, doesn't quite feel natural yet. I will still probably play around some more with Onenote and integrating how I want it to look with OneNote & Office functionality.

Thanks for the tips @ORTOX !

ORTOX likes this.
  9. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, if Nebo.app just had an option for templates --- say using SVGs or PDFs --- (and an italic/chisel-edged nib option) and some checkbox/checklist functionality it'd be perfect.

10. ORTOX

ORTOX Scribbler - Standard Member

I'll be curious what system you end up using for the long haul. Keep us up to date! If I really make using my OneNote Planner a habit, I may have to buy OneNote Gem. My wife and I share our calendars in Outlook. Being able to create calendar appointments from my handwritten notes in Outlook would be great. It may be worth the $30.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.