Digital magazine for the slate

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by LuxurMag, Dec 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuxurMag

LuxurMag Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys,
    Been an active member for a while now (under another SN). I created an online digital magazine that is very 'iPad-like' for the Slate. I've got a Slate 500 and I specifically designed and optimized it to have the best speeds on the slate and to match it's 1024x600 resolution. I've also compensated for the start bar and the top half of various browsers in order to ensure everything fits properly within the slates screen, though full screen is the best experience. My Slate isn't overclocked and I wanted it that way. To ensure the best playback in the future I wanted it to be designed speedy even on lower end machines but still pack a punch!

The site is locked until MIDNIGHT tonight, New Year's, but I'd really appreciate it if you guys followed along and left me some decent feedback. There are still a few kinks I need to work out but the presentation for the January issue is final. I'll make any programming corrections in the February issue. Please, give me any feedback you can, I'd like to fix any issues that bother the publications fans.

Thank so much guys!!! And a special thanks to Bronsky for indirectly helping me solve a lot of issues on my slate through your posts haha.

LUXUR Mag
    LUXUR Mag - Coming Soon

2. LuxurMag

The magazine is out now, no more countdown, let me know what you guys think.

3. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

I personally liked it. Informative and interesting.

4. LuxurMag

I'm glad you liked it!
    I've gotten some feedback regarding users who are requesting a mute button and from iPad users enjoying the experience but wishing it could be viewed on their iPads.
    I will incorporate a mute button in every issue that follows and I am currently pursuing several options that will allow me to transition the publication to HTML5. The development is just much quicker in Flash and everything is very integrated and compatible with users who already have the Flash player (using features that are available in Flash 7 and later). HTML5 is a bit trickier- development times are longer, there are various incompatibility issues and preloading isn't as nice as it is within Flash (which is important with something that is much more media driven like this) but, again, I'm taking the right steps to bring this into HTML5 development as well.

5. skaad

skaad rg

Your magazine is artfully laid out and visually intriguing. I believe it has great potential. The interactive features were engaging and imaginative.

As a design professor and sculptor, I found it interesting enough to subscribe and will check out the next issue.

As you asked for constructive criticism, these are my thoughts towards improvement. There needs to be more written commentary. Your magazine should appeal to visual, tactile and auditory thinkers but you need more conceptual content to draw the reader in and encourage them to spend time on the site. Your authors need to paint pictures for the audience that are appealing as the visual information presented. You need a table of contents that allows the user to skip and re-read sections. The magazine, in its current form also reads much like an extended advertisement. Obviously, this is part of the reason for its existence, but to keep your subscribers returning you must balance this with enchanting content. The imagery and storytelling must disguise the commercial nature of your magazine.

Congratulations on a nice start!

6. LuxurMag

I can tell you're a design professor haha. These are very interesting things you bring up.

My partner an I (there are only two of us) both have backgrounds in media design (photography, video, graphics, etc). I also have a background in flash design and programming which is how we're able to pull this whole thing together. What we lack however is a creative writer, we have to fill that content ourselves but as you can see neither of us have the flare of some who passionately writes would be able to convey. I really want to tighten the narrative to match the choice of art direction and design because I highly agree that the visuals and audio set great moods but that the narrative needs to match this.

You also point out that magazine reads like an extended advertisement. I can see how one would make that assumption. This is obviously to leave open business opportunities but this is only done with the intention to fund the creation of the magazine and allow us to continue the creation of these things. We enjoy making art that blends static visuals with video and creates an atmosphere and environment. We enjoy sharing interesting things and coming up with interesting ways of showing them off. These topics inspire both of us as artists and there is a certain amount of satisfaction that comes from creating this experience. While the business side must stay relevant we attempt to create an enjoyable experience that 'shares' interesting things & presents you with an interesting way of viewing them instead of advertising to you in an intrusive manner.

Thank you so much for becoming a subscriber and taking the time to write up a critique and your comments. Happy new year and the best of luck to you this year!

7. LuxurMag

February is here and 'The Golden Issue' is now available!
    LUXUR Mag
    A lot of work went in to making this one tighter and more solid than last months issue. I'm open to more input from our fan base- I want to improve any aspects that will keep readers coming. I got some pretty decent feedback from you guys last time.

8. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

Man, I love your magazine. This month was better than the last. You had one error in the oscar section. You showed a picture of montgomery cliff, instead of maximilian schell.

9. LuxurMag

It's really great to know the issues are appreciated! The two of us worked very hard to develop concepts we felt were stronger than we presented in January. With more time and development I promise things will only get better! We have a lot planned.

That was a big mistake on my part! I fixed it up right away. You pointed it out so early on- totally saved me! haha

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

...My impression is that the navigation approach ("paging" through the magazine and "paging" through each of its sections) needs some work. "Next page" pops up in multiple places at times. I assume that they are different...?

It would also be helpful if there was some sort of indicator which showed exactly where you were in the magazine (near the front? near the end?).

Nice job, though...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.