Digital Artist looking for a new drawing computer

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Lilawyn, Dec 26, 2019.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just a thought, very few are going to have a spare £40,000 for a 4K Sony Trimaster for professional cinematic colour correction but a lot of artists often have a second colour-correct monitor....

That could make the non-dreamcolour zbook a viable option.

Lilawyn likes this.
  2. reversible

reversible Pen Pal - Newbie

As I usually work mobile, a second monitor isn't really in the cards...my SP2's terrible calibration options have been a thorn in my side for a while. In my case I think I'll continue scouring the internet for Dreamcolor deals, thanks.

But yeah, if color accuracy isn't too big of a problem that BH deal still seems to be great value.

Lilawyn likes this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That fact I don't think can't be stated enough in regards to the Zbook. I knew it was going to be a behemoth....but after being so used to my Surface Pro 5...and even my Mobile Studio Pro 13......no amount of knowing how big it is can fully prepare you until you actually use the damn thing. I bought the Zbook primarily for a coding bootcamp I'm doing......and while its serving that purpose well.....there are a few issues I've had with it because of the size/heft.

Sometimes in the class we have to work in groups....which means bringing our laptops to a different table....or if we're stuck on something....bringing it to the teacher or one of the TA's.......overall a minor grip....but everytime I do that with my Zbook.....I so wish I was using the Pro 5 instead. So much easier to schelp a Pro 5 around, or spin it full around to share with my classmates. Even at home....anywhere but my main desk or table.....the Pro 5 is just so much easier to use elsewhere....like on my couch or bed.....despite the Pro 5 and Zbook having the same form factor.....the Thinness and lower weight of the Pro 5 really put it in a different class of use altogether.

Lilawyn and doobiedoobiedum like this.
  4. Lilawyn

Lilawyn Pen Pal - Newbie

Update on my current buying situation:

I read Steve B's experience with it in the Purchase Confessions thread, and jumped on an end-of-the-year deal for the reMarkable e-ink tablet as a journal replacement. It's not going to replace any of my tablet needs for art machine, but... it might help me firm up the EMR vs. AES digitizer debate that I still haven't resolved.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  5. RazorblisS

RazorblisS Pen Pal - Newbie

get a Zbook x2 G4 i7 8th gen. Just got one recently after struggling for years to find a decent drawing PC and trying numerous devices, nothing with an active pen comes close to wacom's EMR

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    Lilawyn likes this.
  6. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Lilawyn and thatcomicsguy like this.
  7. Lilawyn

Lilawyn Pen Pal - Newbie

I was out of town for a week, and saw this link. Fantastic deal. I attempted to get some hands-on experience in a nearby Best Buy, but for some reason, the S-Pen was not working with the floor model Notebook 9. I wasn't able to test out how drawing felt, pen responsiveness or anything relating to the pen experience. It was a bit frustrating, and since I was in another state, decided to put off making a big purchase with so many unknowns.

I also wondered how the pen wasn't working, since it should have been paired with the device & should not require batteries or anything of that nature. It's been proving VERY difficult to try out a Samsung of any description. Maybe I'll have a better chance with my local Best Buy now that I'm back.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It was probably the wrong device. Aside from the already confusing enough fact that Samsung has made similar looking laptops without S-pens.....one thing my local Best Buy's are guilty of.....they'll move around the devices.....but not the pens. There was one laptop Samsung put out that used MPP (or was it AES)....but they didn't have the included AES/MPP Pen....but where it was physically on the shelf....is where a former S-pen device used to be.....and they had that S-pen stick still tethered in the same spot.....so naturally that pen would not work. I'd blame that up to unaware Best Buy workers....probably so used to the Wacom Ink Pen being compatible with almost everything else they have.....they wouldn't event think to change the pens. The easiest way to confirm physically if the device has a pen silo, since for all the 13/15 inchers Samsung is using silo pens. If you don't see a slot for the Silo.....its not S-pen friendly.

Lilawyn likes this.
  9. Lilawyn

Lilawyn Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh, huh! Now that you mention it, the machine I was looking at did NOT have a pen silo on it. I know because me and my partner looked over every inch of that device to see if there were another pen that might work with it, and I specifically sought out the pen silo spot where the Notebook 9 Pen has one (before we gave the rest of the machine a once-over). Nothing.

10. Lilawyn

Lilawyn Pen Pal - Newbie

After returning home from an out-of-state trip where my only two devices were a new ReMarkable tablet (wonderful for journaling!) and my Surface Pro 6 in a Kensington stand (a mini Surface Studio!), I had some time to think about my tablet purchasing for the year.

The next generation of Samsungs does not appeal to me. Wireless device charging is barely on my radar; my whole device ecosystem is wired. And...as embarrassing as this is to say...the corners on the Galaxy Book Flex are too pointy. I need rounded corners. For fewer injuries while I'm drawing. :p

I also don't want to wait on the Acer ConceptD 7 Ezel. If it's as delayed getting to market as the ConceptD 9, that might be a full year before I can get my hands on one.

Seeing end-of-life prices on the Samsung Notebook 9 series that Shogmaster posted, and the out-of-stock notifications I kept getting from bhphotovideo's site, I decided that now's the time to jump on an EMR tablet.

Found a deal for $1099 on a unopened box Samsung Notebook 9 Pen from a reputable ebay seller with a 30 day return policy. It's the 15" model with a quad core 8th gen i7 (i7-8565U), 16 GB RAM, 1TB of storage, and a dgpu (Nvidia MX150).

It's arriving on January 24th. I'm so nervous. :eek:

darkmagistric likes this.