Digital art hardware comparison: Samsung ATIV Smart PC vs Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 vs Fujitsu T902

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Shogmaster, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Instead of doing a half a**ed video review of the Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T, I decided that it would be much more interesting to do a video comparison of it to 2 other very different tablets that are also equipped with the same Wacom digitizer for their capabilities as a digital art machines:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncegf0Em7m4

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

looking forward to this, it says it is currently processing...

3. Jargoneer

Jargoneer Pen Pal - Newbie

Sounds great, I read through the ongoing thread Shogmaster started in the Samsung forum. Really interested in the Smart PC at this point, mainly for use as a digital sketchpad. Only thing holding me back is wondering how well it'll keep up with a say 1920x1080 20+ layer file in PS or sketchbook. Considering the previous generation slates that can keep up with that workload are available on ebay for $600-$700.

Anyway, I'm excited to checkout the video! Still processing.

4. Shogmaster

Holy Crikey... How is it still processing? Been over 5 hours!

Jargoneer, the comparo is not for the pro version. I can't find that yet for sale in LA...

5. Jargoneer

Haha yeah, I was going to ask if I was reading the forum time-stamps correctly. How long is the video? Maybe you can upload it again, I've never had that happen but I'm usually only uploading videos of 3 minutes or less.

The non pro version is the version I'm actually interested in at the moment. The low weight and long battery life are what is appealing to me about the 500t (I've been using a 13" Asus R1F for digital sketching for the last five years, which weighs in at like 4.5 lbs and the battery for practical purposes died long ago). The Pro does sound awesome, but is more than I want to spend - but I suppose I might convince myself in the next month.

6. kakeashi

kakeashi Pen Pal - Newbie

7. Shogmaster

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  8. Jargoneer

Thanks Shog, the comparison between the three definitely helped me make up my mind. I'll wait and see how the Pro performs. Again I currently draw on an old Asus R1F, even with its aging core2duo I never really have to deal with brush lag in sketchbook or PS, so getting something like the standard ATIV Smart PC wouldn't really feel like an upgrade.

Looks tolerable for light sketching, but like you say in the video, past the penciling stage into rendering it seems like it would be pretty frustrating to deal with.

Thanks again for taking the time to do this, what you demoed in the video is exactly what I was wanting to see.

9. Shogmaster

Glad to help!

10. SpiralMagus

SpiralMagus Pen Pal - Newbie

That was very informative and helpful to me as well - thanks!

It verified my concerns about the 500T not having the horsepower I would need for my work. I look forward to reports of the ATIV Pro, but for now the T902 looks like the best choice for my needs.

Comparisons aside, it was also cool just to see how Painter performs on the T902.

11. stoneseeker

Nice.

very thorough!

12. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I tried the the same test on sketchbook express pro as you did on the Galaxy Note 10.1 with my Thinkpad Tablet running 4.0. I must say I think it fared about the same vs the Note 10.1, which surprised me a bit considering it's a Tegra 2 cpu pared with a N-Trig digiter. Also thought the Galaxy Note 10.1 did better than the Ativ with the mobile/express version of sketchbook.

Thank you for the comparison, almost has me want to tale a look at the smaller Fujitsu T732 or Thinkpad X230t, if it weren't for the average resolution.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  13. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Another thank you for the comparrison.

Interesting about the seemingly actual 1024 levels of pressure.However I did notice in the video on your diagnostic test....it seemed to kind of jump right to 1024 almost instantly, where as on the T902...you could see the gradual progression in pressure. Since this was seemingly accomplished by altering the firmware, would it be safe to assume that its not a genuine 1024 levels and more of just a numbering hack then anything. I mean as you said it wouldn't really matter,but it would be nice to stick it to some of the Tablet PC haters who live and swear by their "Serious Artists must have use Cintiq/Intuos" bull.

I guess we can also assume this new Firmware hack is the same one now being utilized by the makers of the Modbook Pro, since they're now claiming1024 levels of pressure too.

Double the Pen Pressure, SSD and RAM! | Modbook Inc.

Also, don't suppose you wouldn't mind doing another video test. The photoshop performance kind of kills the ATIV for me, but I would like to see how Paint Tool Sai Performs on it.

14. Shogmaster

Sorry, I returned it yesterday to get my money back I'll use to get the Pro...

SAI is even more efficient than Sketchbook Pro, so it should perform even better, but bigger brushes will still be an issue IMO.

And yes, I agree about the pressure level jumping. At the end of the day, the tip assembly has certain range of sensing ability in analog terms. Whether you granulate that into 256 or 1024 levels digitally, the result should be about the same.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  15. Selofain

Selofain Professional Lurker

Would older versions of Photoshop run better on the Ativ? CS5 was unusable on my TC1100, but CS4 and CS2 simply had major lag issues after working ok for a couple seconds of quick sketching. Would it be unrealistic to say that the lag would disappear if I used either CS5 or CS4? Or even older? I don't see any compelling reasons to use the latest Photoshop versions unless they've implemented touch for tablet pcs.

16. Shogmaster

CS6, CS5 and CS4 all share the same base brush engine, so you would have to take it back to CS3 to get any reprieve for the CPU. Unfortunately, CS3's brush engine is so inferior to anything other than likes you'd find in Android art apps that it's not worth the effort.

17. Selofain

Selofain Professional Lurker

Ah, ok. That's a bit disappointing, but the performance is still far more usable than the TC1100. If only Sketchbook Pro or Paint Tool Sai let me use my bottom side switch as pan/scroll as seamlessly as Photoshop does. And didn't do weird things to the right click that I can't change. Such a minor thing, but I'm so used to it that it's a deal breaker for anything other than doodling.

Still, hard to argue with an all-day battery life. I think I'll wait for i3 battery reviews before making a final decision.

18. anjin3515

anjin3515 Pen Pal - Newbie

Man....it just seem hard to find the "right" tablet for digital artists.
    I really like the looks/specs of the ATIV 700....but the 4 gig RAM cap is a little worrisome. Fujitsu T902 fits the bill very well, but is much more expensive.
    I wonder if I keep it to more of sketching, concepts etc, or smaller works if the 4 gig RAM would be fine, and once I need to do serious editing bring it into the desktop,

19. stoneseeker

Yep, that is what most do. To find one system that does it all is much more difficult.

I'm sure the ATIV pro 700 will handle most small/medium tasks with ease. I'd say only the X230T and the T902/T901 w/Nvidia actually have the muscle to replace the desktop.

20. anjin3515

anjin3515 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah thats what it seems like. The X230T and the T902/T901 are also priced like mobile desktops, and for me atleast....thats too much for a "digital sketchbook"