Difficulty resetting EA800 password - (I've tried the dvt_check script)

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by Derec01, Feb 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derec01

Derec01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,

I'd appreciate any advice, I'm at a loss for how to proceed.

Apparently I put a password on this thing that I have since forgotten, and I'm unable to sync or change the password, though it doesn't currently lock the screen. I have tried the dvt_check script from the other thread, as well as entering those commands manually at the terminal, and it does not seem to run. (It doesn't transform itself to a text file, so I'm assuming it doesn't activate)

My bootloader is version 1.0.4 and my kernel is version 1.0.8, Build 94, if that's relevant.

THanks for any help!

2. eddy

eddy Pen Pal - Newbie

Your firmware is really old, you should update it. (Also might be the reason, why password reset doesn't work.

3. Derec01

Derec01 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm a little confused how to update without access to the sync utility. I can't use FreeeNoteSync or the base because I can't access them without the password. Honestly I don't remember setting a password, but I can't find any reference to a default password either.

4. Derec01

Derec01 Pen Pal - Newbie

And I should clarify that my problem extends to being unable to access a boot menu at reboot. Any dvt_check files are on my SD card are NOT run, and I can't get an option to do anything of the sort. I have access to the QTerminal once the program starts, but I've been unable to try to enter the commands from dvt_check manually.

At any rate, I've been sifting through these threads for a couple hours and I can't seem to find an answer here. Is there another method to just nuke everything and start over?

5. eddy

eddy Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  6. Derec01

Derec01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your help and attention.

Unfortunately, I've tried the first one already. The hangup is that I'm unable to active this update mode, no matter what permutation of holding down Restart and Power that I try.

It sounds like the second possibility would definitely succeed, though I'm not sure I'm confident enough to start breaking the thing open, as I'm trying to get rid of it anyway. I may just try to sell it to someone who has the time to deal with it.

Thanks again for the help though.

7. pbarrette

pbarrette Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi Derec01,

If you don't want to open the case and you have access to QTerminal, then you should still be able to use the second method.
    Just type the following in QTerminal and then reboot:
    Code:
    sysparams set needUpdate 1
    When you reboot the EeeNote it should go directly into update mode.
    From there, you can use the "updateclient" to overwrite the existing firmware and start fresh.

Of course, if you have access to QTerminal, you can also just type the commands found in the dvt_check script here:
    http://freenote.peterbarrette.com/downloads/installs/RemovePass.zip

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  8. Derec01

Derec01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi pbarrette,

I really appreciate the pointer, that took care of it!

I'd tried manually entering the script before, and it was oddly unresponsive, but by using that command and the UpdateClient + ROM I was able to fully reset it and start fresh with the Sync utility.

Thanks again, I'd just about given up.

Derec

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.