Different RAM speed on the same TC4200

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by flash, Dec 2, 2006.

1. flash

flash Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there,

I am Awang, and I came from Indonesia

I just bought a 512mb DDR2 533 (PC2-4200) to add the total RAM on my TC4200, unfortunetaely I just found out that the factory supplied ram (in slot 1) is DDR2-400 (PC2-3200) . . .

Since I already bought it, I installed it anyway .. and it seems to works OK . .

My question is . . is this gonna be risky for me in the future ? could anyone share experience on having 2 different ram speed on laptop for some time . . I just afraid that even it seem working fine, eventually the hardware is pushing themselves to the limit to accomodate this difference (without my knowledge), and it will break down in the future due to it . . . .

An will it void my warranty ?

Thy in advance for your kind help . . .

2. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi Awang,

I have am in the same situation as you. :)
    I'm currently using a computer that has two different memory modules running at different speeds; one is a 333 MHz DDR (PC2700), the other is 266 MHz DDR (PC2100). The default is the PC2100 266 MHz, so both memory modules will clock in and run at 266 MHz, my PC2700 will not run at its full speed of 333 MHz. Since I installed the PC2700 memory module about two and a half years ago, I do not foresee any problems with any daily tasks I perform today or since then.

Upgrading your memory should not void your warranty, if both memory modules work, then all is fine - as long as it is DDR2 memory, it'll work - but not DDR2 and, let's say, RAMBUS memory - those two are incompatible with each other due to their different instruction sets and architectures. :)

3. flash

flash Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi SImsShia . . nice to know and read ur reply . .

Indeed it is a very convincing experience, 2 years it quite long time . . I think Im in big relieve right now, and it saves money too since I dont need to buy another DDR2 533 ram stick to replace the original HP ram . . :)

Hopefully mine will going OK for the next 2 years also (same period as my remaining warranty ) . . I usually sold my unit as it warranty near expired . .

Thx again . .