Difference in HD decoding on Tx2500

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by billycat, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billycat

billycat Pen Pal - Newbie

In using the software decoder (CoreAVC using single core) and HD3200 hardware assisted decoding. The vid is 720p HD video encoded in x.264 of a football game.

Heres is the fragment of the shot for the CoreAVC software.

[​IMG]

Notice that it's using about 50-80% of a core set at 2.4 GHz.

And now hardware assisted by the IGP HD3200
    [​IMG]

20% of 1.2GHz! and vast majority of the time it's below that!

Yep, you guessed it. This HD video plays in power save mode and the laptop stays pretty cool throughout which I'm guessing (until I take a more thorough look) means it's not pushing the HD3200 very hard.

I LOVE this IGP.

EDIT: Note: The version of CoreAVC used here is 1.3.0.0 which is, admittedly, old and not exactly the best version but the difference is too enormous to be attributed to a version of a software.

2. tC_Crazy

tC_Crazy Pen Pal - Newbie

Great find! People have been saying for weeks how the new IGP is so great, even showing benchmarks to prove it. However, this is a real world finding that is not only noticeable in everyday use, but also a VERY practical gain. tx2000 users sometimes reported problems playing SD video in balanced mode! To be able to play HD in power saver is a great gain, and the fact that it keeps the heat down is even better.

3. forrestsun

forrestsun Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the report! Could you give more details on the software you used to play the x264 file? Any special codec required for HD assisted playback?

4. pardes3

pardes3 Scribbler - Standard Member

how do you get it to do software only and then hardware assisted playback?

5. freality

freality Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey billycat,

What method did you use to set your hardware assisted playback up? I followed the guide here (http://forums.boxtorrents.com/index.php?topic=10948.0), and CPU utilization is decent (30 - 40%), but I'm wondering what to do different to get it to your levels.

Please post your method, thanks!

6. billycat

I posted the method I use earlier in this codec thread.

Get the method I use here.

EDIT: This player is FREE.

There is another method, namely rip the Cyberlink Codec from the PowerDVD suite which also will use hardware acceleration (DXVA/UVD). I think this codec is ripped into PureCodec (which is also mentioned in the thread above.

Also note that PowerDVD will accelerate Blu-Ray should HP EVER release that drive for the tx series. (hope and pray)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. billycat

That IS my current method for AVC/h.264 files.

What was your CPU speed? With power save mode, it, at times, will drop to 600MHz.

It also depends on how the video was encoded and whether it has subtitles stream or not. There is also audio to consider (the file I had only had 2 channel audio since I was only interested in video decoding performance at the time.). Until we compare apples to apples, it's hard to tell if your set up needs any tweaking.

8. freality

Ah, good point...most of my .mkv's are loaded with DTS, subs, etc. Still plays great, thanks for the links!

9. freality

Also, what power save mode do you like to use? HP's custom one, one you tweeked yourself, etc.?

10. billycat

I started with the powersave mode and changed a few things to make "My Custom Plan 1" (Super original, eh?) Aside from setting the CPU caps, I also changed the wireless under battery to "Low Power Saving". I noticed that "Maximum Power Saving" makes my HD videos stutter when I'm playing them via wireless from my server. (And use the front wireless switch to turn it off when I'm on the road and don't need it.) I sometimes change this particular setting back to "Max Power Saving." I think "Moderate Power Saving" should also work but since this already works for me I'm sticking with it. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.