Difference between TC4200 1.8 and 2.0 GHz

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Daring, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nazdrovje

Nazdrovje Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone seen any comparisons between the 1.8 and 2.0 GHz versions of the TC4200?

I'd like to hear something about the difference in performance, battery life, fan noise and heat. Only tests please, no obvious opinions.

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would love to answer this, I have the "obvious opinion", but no hard data to back it up.

3. Nazdrovje

:D OK. That was a bit too harsh. But the obvious answers would be: the 2.0 is faster, has a shorter battery life, makes more noise, gets hotter. But I'd like too know how these differences balance. Going from 5 to 4 hrs would probably too much for me if the performance goes up by 10%, but going from 5 to 4:45 and performance up by 20% would probably be acceptable. Audible noise might be a no-go.

4. Daring

Daring Moderator

Like Barry, I too have no numbers to give you. I may be able to shed a little bit based on personal observation though. I have the 1.86 GHz, 60G, 1.5G variety. Guy at church has 1.73, 60G, 2G. Informal tests (exercising the processor, just letting the laptop sit) show no sigificant difference in the two. Heat was about the same, noise was nearly inaudible except under heavy load, and battery life was/is nearly identical.

All that said, we didn't really sit there and listen how many times each computers fan came on during a one hour period or anything like that.

If your concerned about battery life, get the travel battery. Readers here will know that I am not an advocate of heavy computers and the TB adds a pound. However it also adds about 4-5 hours of battery life and 8-10 hours on a charge ROCKS!

5. Nazdrovje

Thanks. That was really helpful. BTW isn't there such as thing as speedstep technology? So, if I don't load a 2.0 system to its fullest it might work at an equivalent power consumption of a 1.8 or 1.7 system at a slightly higher load?

6. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Pen Pal - Newbie

7. Daring

Daring Moderator

CHC will allow you to adjust processor voltages which will reduce heat and increase battery life. However the processor will automatically throttle down based on the setting in the power management in XP.