Did your TM2 have hardware problems?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by Malangyar, Mar 7, 2010.

?

Did you return your TM2?

1. Yes, my TM2 had hardware problem(s) and I've returned more than one unit

13 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. Yes, my TM2 had hardware problem(s) and I've returned it

45 vote(s)
    28.1%
  3. Yes, my TM2 had hardware problem(s) but I have not returned it

35 vote(s)
    21.9%
  4. No, my TM2 is working correctly.

66 vote(s)
    41.3%
  1. AfroFire

AfroFire Pen Pal - Newbie

I think it is pretty much squared away that the color banding is the result of the 6 bit screen trying to display 8 bit work, and is correctable with a Bios update.

I.e. banding by itself is not indicative of a problem.

2. Jelleman

Jelleman Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got a problem with my TM2 (SU9600 and ATI).

I hibernated my TM2 and now it won't do anything anymore.

When I press the power button the fan starts but stops after a couple of seconds and then the caps lock light starts blinking.

I tried rebooting after removing the battery and the cmos battery. I also tried rebooting with or without the memory modules. Nothing helped.

Any ideas?

3. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

How many modules do you have? One might have gone out on you perhaps. Give it a try with each one separately maybe.

4. Jelleman

I have 2 modules. I tried every combination but nothing worked.
    It's just a non stop blinking caps lock light and the rest of the system gives no response at all.

5. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

Blank Screen LED Error Codes - HP Customer Care (United States - English) Not sure if you saw that yet, doesn't look good though. I'd warranty that asap (should be warranty-able? it's only been out less than a year (think launch was Jan 19)). If it's the bios, there might be a way to recover it, I can't seem to find the thread, but on notebookreview (sister site) there were methods of recovering the HP dv5t and some other HP laptops BIOs from a flash drive, so you might want to look at that if the flash code coincides with a corrupt BIOs.

----
    I just recieved my new tm2t (2nd one) with just the Intel HD (which handles Starcraft 2 on low settings very playable), and this one came with a much tighter keyboard, and much better build quality overall (fan is quieter on this one for some reason). The one thing I noticed in this one is the HDD is a little louder, and it has some vibration (I can literally feel the whirr of it under my right palm), I don't recall this in the first one I got, but the first one the fan was always running (might be from extra heat from the ATi I had in that one). I threw on an Photodon antiglare, got it on perfect, and it's alright. Touch is very unreliable for me when my hands are moist (when they aren't it probably has a 15% reduction in sensitivity). Pen is amazing on it. But no hardware problems that are show stopping so far, loving it!
    Oh one thing I wanted to note is I ran Windows update, which updated the touchpad, and it started working like crap after that in regards to multitouch scrolling. One thing I did was uninstall, and reinstall the original. I remember I had this problem on the first tm2t I had, and the other solution I did, was turn off palm check. The problem I was running into was downward scrolling; it would jump to the end of the page.

6. Jelleman

7. Fkn0wned

Fkn0wned Pen Pal - Newbie

Just received my tm2 in the mail, and it seems like my keyboard isn't seated all the way... it is popping up around the top left corner where the escape key is and all of that.

did anyone else have this issue?

8. triggrhaapi

triggrhaapi Scribbler - Standard Member

I just was told by my case manager that a full refund for my machine was authorized. I had to go through hell to get it. I used to be a strong proponent of HP and a firm backer of the TM2, but they broke me of that belief quite soundly.

I actually had to threaten to sue them to get them to approve a full refund. They had the gall to offer a "prorated" amount, counting the 29 days that my machine was merely "problematic" and not "broken" as if I was getting joyful use from it. I did get some joy out of it, but I had to balance the machine on a thin wire to get it.

9. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

When my G1 broke, it took them about 50 days to fix it. I demanded to talk to a supervisor and the issue got escalated. At the end, they shipped me a G2 with specs maxed out! :D

You should have asked for an upgrade, instead of a refund.

10. triggrhaapi

triggrhaapi Scribbler - Standard Member

Replacement Offer:

HP Touchsmart tm2t series- Please be aware that the Touchsmarts no longer have the i5 processors just the i3. I have given you a better HDD and a free wireless mouse for the inconvenience of this. Let me know if these specs are ok.

Operating system Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit edit
    Processor and Graphics Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-380UM (1.33GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) + Intel(R) HD Graphics [HDMI, VGA] edit
    Memory 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm) edit
    Hard drive 640GB 5400RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection edit
    Office software No Additional Office Software edit
    Security software No additional security software edit
    Primary battery 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (standard) - Up to 6 hours of battery life +++ edit
    Display 12.1" diagonal High Definition HP BrightView LED Touchscreen (1280 x 800) edit
    Personalization HP TrueVision Webcam and FingerPrint Reader (on the display) edit
    Networking Intel Wireless-N Card edit
    Keyboard Standard Keyboard edit
    Your additional options:
    Click edit to modify. NOTE: These items are in stock and will ship immediately.
    Mice & keyboards HP Wireless 3-Button Optical Mouse edit

This was their "as good or better" replacement for my 430UM i5 with ATI graphics, 8gb of RAM et al. I asked to see if they'd replace it with a Sandy Bridge variant, but they declined. I'd rather take the money and wash my hands of HP.

You guys are all fantastic, and when the machine was operating properly, it was fantastic, too, but this was entirely too much of a problem for me to accept it.