Did your TM2 have hardware problems?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by Malangyar, Mar 7, 2010.

?

Did you return your TM2?

1. Yes, my TM2 had hardware problem(s) and I've returned more than one unit

13 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. Yes, my TM2 had hardware problem(s) and I've returned it

45 vote(s)
    28.1%
  3. Yes, my TM2 had hardware problem(s) but I have not returned it

35 vote(s)
    21.9%
  4. No, my TM2 is working correctly.

66 vote(s)
    41.3%
  1. Ultimoose

Ultimoose Scribbler - Standard Member

First TM2 is perfect, no complaints other than the basic design issues (loud fan).

Second TM2 is a PITA. Arrived with loose power jack and the fingerprint reader wouldn't work at all. Shipped it back, got it 2 weeks later, yesterday actually. Power jack is fixed, finger print reader kinda sorta works, unlike the other it takes an ass load of swipes to get it to recognize a print and to register prints you have to have 4 good ones in a row. I hit 37 on one attempt to register a finger without getting 4 in a row good. It takes about 6-8 swipes to unlock it. The other one, reads the first time so there's nothing funky about my fingerprints.
    Also when they put it back together after fixing the power jack the keyboard now rattles in the upper left and to some extent upper right corners. Pressing keys in those areas results in a click/clack noise as the key presses down and then presses the keyboard down another 1/16 or 1/8th of inch until it stops.

Luckily when they replaced (or maybe they planned it that way) the warranty voiding sticker in the battery compartment they didn't put it over the screw hole so I'm just going to take it apart and fix the loose keyboard. It's a christmas present for my wife and I don't want to risk it not getting back in time for me to set it up.

HP's QA is just horrible these days. Out of the last batch of 40 DL380 G6's, we've put online last month, 3 came in DOA, 2 had bad second CPU slots, 2 had bad ram slots, 2 had bad secondary drive cages. It got to be a game as we unboxed, "$5 this one actually boots and sees all the hardware."

2. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

When you get around to that, can you please let me know how that goes? Same thing is happening on mine with the keyboard, it rattles in the corners. I looked at the service manual and got discouraged from the way it's held in just by two fasteners in the center, so I was thinking its a design flaw and saw another thread about it from a year ago regarding this.

3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Having fallen in love with tablet PCs because of the TM2 last March, only to return 3 for quality problems, I can only say I am deeply disappointed to see HP has not managed to get its act together any better. I "graduated" to their Elitebook 2740p and I did have some issues, but the numbers on this poll are just shocking! I don't know any other consumer product that could remain in business with these results, if it wasn't for a product that the public so desperately wants, is so very attractive with good specs, is the only tablet with a discrete gpu and...well, after discounting, nothing in the field comes close. For the price of a well equipped iPad you can get a real computer with 640GB of storage, 4GB+ ram and a screen you can manipulate with your fingers or draw on with a pen. But over 50% having defects and nearly that many having to send their original (possibly more than one) back. Whoa man, I just assumed they had gotten their act together. What a disappointment!

4. jameelrose

jameelrose Pen Pal - Newbie

1rst tm2 - weak wifi signal
    2nd tm2 - faulty touch screen (triggering points on its own)
    3rd tm2 - keyboard lifting and rotate button jammed
    4th tm2 - red lines (i think this what is being referred to as color banding) when i turn on the ATI GPU.

worst customer service experience in my life!

5. Juke

Juke Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, I must be pretty lucky because mine was isssue free. And it's a shame that after almost 1 year, HP hasn't resolved the problem. I have read some reviews about the TM2 form the HP page, and many of them are negative.

6. triggrhaapi

triggrhaapi Scribbler - Standard Member

Mine was completely dead after a month. The repair service order calls it a Higher Speed CPU/PEII Function Error. Says I should have it back on the 22nd, but also says it's waiting for a part to arrive.

I know it's going to at least be a new mobo and HDD but I'm not sure if I'm going to get a whole new unit or mine refurbished.

I hope this solves all of my issues because I really love that machine and I miss it terribly.

7. 65fastback2+2

65fastback2+2 Pen Pal - Newbie

hard drive died after 4 months

8. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Was it stock hard drive, or a "after-market" one? I ask because the one hdd that I've ever had die on me was a Hitachi drive I bought and then put in my Tm2 (it was corrupted sectors. I treated it really well all the time, so I think it was just a bad drive, it started acting slow 1 month before it died, and it was "clicking")

9. 65fastback2+2

65fastback2+2 Pen Pal - Newbie

stocker hdd

10. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

Yup, thought mine was flawless. Here's what I think was wrong hardware wise.
    - Weird fan control. Fans would kick up randomly (temps weren't elevated or anything) and rev down sometimes. Changing power plans affected plans. An example is if I were in Power Mode on boot up, sometiems fans would be at a semi higher than quiet rpm, then switching to Balanced would kick em down, which is really weird, because you'd think using more power would generate more heat to rev them up.
    - Loose keyboard corners. Think it's just the cruddy design of fastening the keyboard to the body.
    - Bad plastic cutting. Some of the edges of the plastics were rough.
    - Hinge had a sharp point on it because it seems the metal covering wasn't bent in enough, and it protruded a bit if you ran your finger there.
    - Worse one was the ATI chip. Color banding followed later by scrambling on the built in display. Yeah, I have color banding with it, and a few weeks later it went caput, and the built in dispaly with ATI on appeared scrambled (HDMI was perfect though o_O).

RMA'd it, sent it out today. Once I get my refund, I'm getting another from Costco this time with just the Intel chip. It's ridiculous to say you use ATI for art if you get horrible color banding. Besides, not many art programs even utilize the GPU for rendering, it's all on the CPU. Wish they had an i5 minus the ATI. I only used the ATI for gaming, but I find the Intel chip can handle some games decently on low settings (SC2 is playable for me, I get about 27-30 fps @ start of games, and it drops obviously, but the same happened even if the ATI, difference was 60 fps at the beginning of games).