Did your TM2 have hardware problems?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by Malangyar, Mar 7, 2010.

?

Did you return your TM2?

1. Yes, my TM2 had hardware problem(s) and I've returned more than one unit

13 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. Yes, my TM2 had hardware problem(s) and I've returned it

45 vote(s)
    28.1%
  3. Yes, my TM2 had hardware problem(s) but I have not returned it

35 vote(s)
    21.9%
  4. No, my TM2 is working correctly.

66 vote(s)
    41.3%
  1. Juke

Juke Pen Pal - Newbie

I am the only one who didn't had hardware & software problems with my tm2?

2. talin

talin Resident cynic

:confused: Not sure what you mean. I was only commenting that it's troublesome to see so many that seem to be having problems with their TM2. :(

No, you and 24 others who have voted have not had problems. :)

3. pgh1969pa

pgh1969pa Scribbler - Standard Member

You are absolutely right. On the other hand, if it causes me to have to reboot or shut down and pull the battery to correct its enough of an issue to raise concern.

Of those who report no problems, I would be eager to know which processor they choose for their TM2. Do SU9600 owners have more problems with POST errors?

4. tscottmommy

tscottmommy Scribbler - Standard Member

pgh1969pa: I had the 9600 in my computer. I also had the dedicated ATI graphics, 8 GB ram, the webcam/fingerprint reader and a 500 GB hard drive. Other than WWAN, I had maxed all equipment options. I am also interested to compare errors based on components as a possible means of figuring out the culprits. I am currently still working on the would-be-replacement-turned-loaner. It has the same specs BUT runs windows 7 Home Premium (other had pro), and the webcam/WWAN (no FP reader)...both machines came preloaded with Bios F.05.

So ... not sure if overall the 9600's have more errors...two 9600 nearly alike machines...one a lemon, one a peach (if only it had the FP reader!)

5. prevenge

prevenge Pen Pal - Newbie

I was just trying to help out with selection bias in regards to 'Maybe everyone coming here is coming here because their laptop is broken and sought out something to fix them!'. No harm/slights/etc. intended or done by anyone else. :)

6. tabletoid

tabletoid Pen Pal - Newbie

When I first got the computer I had a few crashes when the GPU switched, but hadn't had those in a while after some driver updates.

I do have frequent Wi-Fi module disappearance after hibernate, and a few times the fingerprint reader wasn't recognized. These make the computer a pain to use.

All in all, I'd like to like this computer, but I don't consider this product to be anywhere close to acceptable production level. It should have stayed in HP's labs until they sorted out these kinks. This model has been out a few months, but still feels like an early-adopter beta product.

7. Juke

Juke Pen Pal - Newbie

Those 24 persons didn't had hardware problems but some of them did had software issues.

8. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've had my tm2 almost 60 days now and while there were a few glitches here and there, like with the touch digitizer sleeping due to power conservation I must say that I just couldn't be happier overall!

Everything now just WORKS!!! Had to spend a few hours over about 6 weeks to get everything straightened but this place has been great and I didn't have any hardware issues and I have a pretty maxed out tm2, only thing left to really add is to go to 8GB from 6GB.

This is both a great ultra-portable laptop AND tablet machine. It's very fast and responsive overall. Inking is great. Multi-touch is great though not necessarily consistent in feel in all the apps that support it. It's just the flexible mobile computer on the market now and HP now had me as a solid customer.

The tx2 I got in 2008 was decent. The tm2 is a HUGE jump. If they had a better screen in their next model and just slightly improve on everything else I'm all in.

The tm2 is really the opposite of something like an iPad. Yes, complex but powerful and flexible. Just an amazing device.

9. Synergi

Synergi Scribbler - Standard Member

I think I win, 3 motherboard failures in 5 months. :D

I think I had the same configuration you had Heatless. Unfortunately I have not had the same luck. I don't have minor problems, I have total failures. HP won't do anything (aside giving me ACDP and a extra year of warranty) unless the motherboard fails a 4th time. Now I'm hoping it does so I can get either a refund or an exchange for the HP 2740P. Not because I don't like the TM2, but I want a flat form factor and a good screen. I don't really need my TM2 to game, as I can game on the Asus and White MacBook I have.

10. Saluda

Saluda Pen Pal - Newbie

My tm2 had a big dent in it. I think it is a good product. HP just needs to get a better QC program in place at the factory. I have see some post about Heat on a few tablets, that kind makes me wonder. I am betting that is related to the factory, not the design of the tablet.