Did Microsoft finally fix the pen?

Discussion in 'Professions' started by doobiedoobiedum, Oct 8, 2021.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I find it far less an issue so long as the charging method is convenient enough.

There is no better example of that then comparing the iPad Mini 5 with Pencil 1 vs The Mini 6 with Pencil 2. For both devices I’ve had cases that had a pen slot to keep the pen securely with the tablet. But the pencil 1 had a sort of motion autodetect that would zap the pencils battery life down gradually just by carrying the pencil around with the iPad. and while changing the pencil was relatively easy, if often left you with a dead Apple Pencil when ever you wanted to use it. The Mini 6 with the magnetic charging method for the pencil 2 effectively solves this since the pencil is always at full charge every time you want to use it. In just a few weeks, I’m drawing on my mini 6 more then I ever did with the Mini 5 primarily for this reason.

and as someone who has used the Slim Pen 1 and it’s ungodly annoying charging cradle for about two years with my Pro 5, like with the Mini 6, having a direct charging method by way of the keyboard cover, should effectively keep the Slim Pen 2 charged every time you take it out. So effectively there shouldn’t be much of any concern about keeping it charged, so long as you stow it where it’s meant to be.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    doobiedoobiedum, Bishop and Eltos like this.
  2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Brad Colbow is so confident Microsoft have fixed the pen that he’s put this year‘s Surface laptops top of the table of laptops for creatives.

Better than Wacom now?

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I was in my local Staples (the big office supply box store in my region) a day ago.

A staffer noticed me loitering around the laptop display aisle, and we got into an enthusiastic exchange regarding the new MS pen tech. -None of which was in stock or on display, and likely won't be for some time. But he was cool; he knew about the Acer ConceptD 7 Ezel, which I don't think was even on the list of brands carried by Staples. Anyway, despite there being a dedicated MS Surface section, there's probably only a 'slim' chance that the studio laptop will make an appearance in it. It took nearly a year before the first Apple pencil finally show up.

Sadly, I think the best way for me to realistically try this stuff out is to do the 'order and return' thing. -Except that ain't always free, there's shipping and sometimes restocking fees to negotiate, plus you still need to put a couple grand on your credit card for the duration and risk other dumb hassles. Plus, it's no fun for the seller. Somebody has to eat those costs, and if you're not planning to actually make a purchase, then you're acting in bad faith. So.., I suspect that by the time I finally get my hands on one of those units, it'll be very old news.

I notice that when I've accidentally made news-relevant videos (aka, me filming myself drawing on a tri-annual new purchase), they get a surprising number of views. -I mean, I'm normally happy when I get fifty people to hit play on one of my dumb videos. That seems really cool to me; "That's like a double-sized classroom worth of students. Whoa!" (Having done a lot of classroom visits IRL.., that's an almost overwhelming amount of attention to have to manage.) But a couple of my drawing-on-sparkly-new-gear videos have racked up thousands of views. What the hell, man? They look like crap and I was barely even holding the camera steady. How many broke art students are there in the world?

Maybe it's worth getting into the review racket for pen-related computers. It's not like the space is over saturated. -Well.., it is, but most of it is pretty uninteresting to me. When people are hunting, it's easy to quickly run out of good videos to click on, especially since most of them are hopelessly lite on the techie art geek stuff I'm actually hot to know about. I love Brad, he's easily the best out there, but he could definitely stand to live along side a second opinion or two. (Though, I don't think anybody beats him for style and charisma. That guy makes such nice videos! It's almost like he's a graphic designer/story-teller or something.)

Yeah. That probably belongs on my list of things to take more seriously.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  4. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

I don't know if it's worth it, as in worth your time, only you can say. But I would love to see more stylus & related tablet PC videos out there. Even when one of the popular guys gets a pen along with their review unit it's like, "oh and there's a pen.. and look, it writes. The Apple pencil is better, of course." The latter stated with zero understanding of anything at all. (Though most often true despite their ignorance.)

Eltos and thatcomicsguy like this.
  5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

It's not worth it, at least not in my case where also the spoken language is a barrier if I want to reach an international audience.
    But it's nice when you see one of your videos reach 10-20 thousands views.
    Fact is that it's almost pointless to spend a stupidly large amount of hours to produce a super technical review that once you cut here and there reaches 40 minutes: people want to see things in the Brad Colbow style, something entertaining and funny with just the bare minimum info condensed in a 10 minutes video.
    In fact I watch them just because he's funny, as a professional illustrator and a ten years user of tablet pc's I receive zero useful informations regarding the devices he reviews.
    And that's because he's an entertainer. A great one.

@thatcomicsguy has some great presence and deep voice and he's also good at talking (I've contributed to some of your videos views). He might even succeed if he truly wanted to become a youtuber.

dellaster likes this.
  6. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Whoa.. Staples still exists? They went out of business in the UK in 2019, maybe an online centre somewhere in the UK where you can order but physical presence is no more. Staples always had the lowest end, weak PC laptops available and poor pricing. They were great for pens and different types of printer paper and that was it.

I watched a couple of Brad's videos where he talked about what worked - he puts a huge amount of work into his animated "learn art" series and they don't attract as many views but it's his "passion project." That's where he puts his full personality on show. The tech videos.. he's said that if you don't get a review of a new piece of tech out in the first week - the numbers of views drop exponentially so the secret is to be really quick with turnaround.

I tend to be someone who turns up to a review about a month later, after the hype has died down - I still have his inking comics with illustrator saved as I learned some tricks I never ever thought about before - tricks that can be applied to most other illustration styles.

The other guy I watch a lot is Trent Kaniuga - he is more art and technique with a bit of "over-the-top philosophy and life lessons" thrown in than review - I think there's a whole spectrum you could fit into but do it because you want to and because you enjoy it. I hope you go for it, I'll certainly subscribe.

Marty and Azzart like this.
  7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

@doobiedoobiedum Trent is one if the very few professionals who were able to make a YouTube channel worth following. I personally love his insights about the entertainment industry.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.