Did any Surface tablets ever come with Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by WuffWuff, May 25, 2020.

1. WuffWuff

WuffWuff Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everyone,

Was just wondering if MS ever made any Surface tablets Pro/RT etc... that originally came with windows 7? As i read this somewhere long time ago that very early MS tablets had Windows 7 yet i found no information on if this is true.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

The first Surface Pro came with Win8. Hated on the desktop, loved on tablets. :)

3. WuffWuff

I see so MS never released any other Surface RT/GO etc tablets with windows 7?

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Samsung produced the reference design BEFORE Surface - it was the Samsung Series 7 Slate - but Windows 7 was really pretty hard to use in tablet mode.

Lord, I really do tend to forget all the stuff I've bought...

JoeS and thatcomicsguy like this.
  5. WuffWuff

This makes sense i only used windows 7 tablets for sketching/drawing, so at this point it seems all those stories that MS used to make early versions of Surface tabs with Windows 7 are pretty much a myth. Also funny enough used to have that Samsung tablet if only it's screen was a little bit bigger would have never let go of it.

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Fake news. I'm sure Microsoft probably did prototype tests behind the scenes with Win 7, but as far as official products go, the Surface Line started at 8 or rather 8 RT...since the RT Surface was technically the first Surface Product released.

Prior to this point in time, almost all Tablet PCs were the 2-in-1 Swivel Screen style, and that style pretty much completely went out of style when OEMs started making 2-in-1's with the Yoga Style form factor.

There were Slate based Tablet PCs before...and although many of us jury rigged them for Art purposes, none were ever designed with Art in mind. Motion Computing was somewhat the king of that Style. HP made a couple of slate PC attempts, but leading up to the debut of the Surface Line that launched during Intels 3rd generation of i5/i7, the two most popular slates on the market (and this forum) were the Asus Ep121 which had 1st gen i5, and the Samsung Series 7 Slate that had 2nd gen i5......both were Windows 7 based and had their fair share of criticism and love. (I had both and greatly preferred the Series 7 Slate) Samsung rebranded the Series 7 as ATIV for its 3rd gen....and that debuted alongside the Surface RT & Pro during Intels 3rd i5/i7 gen. Everything since that point was Win 8 and later Win 10. But the first actual Tablet released by Microsoft was the Surface RT and Surface Pro 1.

dstrauss likes this.
  7. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

No Surface models ever shipped with Win 7.

Actually, @darkmagistric, there were a number of true slate Tablet PCs in the market at that time that shipped with Windows 7. Samsung's Series 7 had the largest screen size. HP had it's Slate 2 model. Fujitsu Stylistic Q550 debuted in 2011. Sahara Tablet PC shipped a model. Motion Computing shipped several models. Those are models I had/still have stored; I'm sure there were others.

And @dstrauss is right. The tablet UI, battery life, screen size/resolution left much to be desired. Geez, in those days we were ecstatic to get something less than .75 inches thick.

Amen. How far we've come.

Steve S and dstrauss like this.
  8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I know....reread my post....I did mention those. I just focused more on the Asus Ep121 and Samsung Series 7 Slate since those were the first slates to be really aimed at the consumer market as the Surface Brand was. Prior to that....almost all Slates from HP, Fujitsu, Sahara, Motion Computing, etc were marketed specifically to corporate enterprise markets, not so much the consumer side. You could say Asus and Samsung kind of paved that path for Microsoft.

dstrauss likes this.
  9. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

I know that when I first got the original Surface Pro, I wanted to downgrade to Windows 7.

I still do.

But due to non-existant hardware support, driver issues, etc, I don't think its possible,
    and even it is. I think the problems wouldn't make it worth it. For touchscreen support,
    pen support, etc, etc.

later

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I thought Windows 7 was very usable as a tablet OS with flicks.