Did all companies give up on 8 inch stylus tablets?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by kneehowguys, Apr 16, 2018.

1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No man, an 8" Windows, if done right is quite useful and I'm talking from my experience with the Dell Venue 8 pro (the 5855 version). The stylus was as accurate as could be and the device itself quite solid, albeit a tab heavier with ugly bezels. Having realized 10" is not quite portable, I'm still on the lookout for good 8" tablet with great stylus experience.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

WillAdams likes this.
  2. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

me too !

3. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

out of curiosity, do you the the 10 inch ipad even with it's weight is not quite portable? because can't put in bigger pockets?

Or is it more the dimensions make it so you can't hold it with one hand?

4. Hugh

Hugh Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your reply. I think everyone is different but we can all learn from what works for others.

My Venue 8 pro is a 5830. Yours has a significantly better screen (twice the pixels), a better processor, more RAM, and more eMMC. I would guess that yours comes with 64-bit UEFI firmware (mine is 32-bit). From what you say, your digitizer/stylus must be better than mine. In other words, the tablets are very different.

I guess it is telling that you are responding using a large Android phone. It probably has similar resources to your 5855 and better than my 5830. Of course the software is much different. What do you miss from your tablet?

Off topic: I was going to put Linux on the 5830 but there were a lot of little impediments so I have not.

At the time, most Linux distros did not support 32-bit UEFI. With few exceptions, all processors that came after UEFI was adopted had 64-bit hardware so 32-bit UEFI made no sense. But Intel crippled the 64-bit Z3440d by only releasing power management firmware in 32-bit form. This was a blatant attempt to segment the market. In other words, they wanted this processor to compete with ARMs but not more expensive x86 processors.

The SD card would be a good place to keep Linux. This would allow the retention of Windows in the very small eMMC. But the UEFI firmware has no drivers for the SD card so one cannot boot from it. Even if it did work, the SD card would probably stick out in a mechanically vulnerable way.

I fear that the SoC is wired up idiosyncratically with peripherals, in an undocumented way, so getting Linux to work might take a lot of trial and error. This is based on others experience with things like the Asus Transformer Book T100TAF and some other devices.

5. kneehowguys

6. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@kneehowguys WoA is DoA, sadly. Maybe in couple of years, though...

7. kneehowguys

8. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@kneehowguys WoA = Windows on ARM.

I'm saying that at the moment they're terrible. Very high prices for terrible single-threaded performance and Atom-like multi-threaded in x86/x64 apps, combined with total lack of native ARM apps.

Also, battery life is on par with beefier Intel counterparts, not outstanding like initially addvertised.

WillAdams likes this.
  9. kneehowguys

Does it remind you of how some thought maybe core m or cherry trail would give us amazing battery lives?

10. sitongia

sitongia Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm bummed that there are none of these. My HP Envy 8 Note has a great stylus and handwriting works well, it's just such a bummer that the CPU is so slow. It was almost a non-starter from the beginning. It would be great to have this hardware with an updated CPU.