Did all companies give up on 8 inch stylus tablets?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by kneehowguys, Apr 16, 2018.

1. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Haven't seen a new one in a while, don't you think?

2. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Scribbler - Standard Member

I think a lot of companies got scared after the last round of 8" tablets didn't sell particularly well.

Frankly, the last batch of 8" tablets were mostly rubbish, so it's no surprise. Windows 8 at the time wasn't very good either. The HP 608 had so many things going for it, but it was plagued by glitchy firmware that ruined the touch experience and the pen was horribly inaccurate. All it needed was the firmware fixed and a Wacom EMR digitizer with pen built in and it would have been a better Vivotab note 8. I LOVE that HP display... 2048 x 1536 resolution and a 4:3 ratio...I don't even know what other devices that display was used in.

I would love a Galaxy Book 8 using the same screen.. That would be my dream moleskine replacement.

kneehowguys and WillAdams like this.
  3. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Samsung has one which they've been marketing through their business unit. I suspect it's viewed as an alternative to a corporate cell phone.

kneehowguys likes this.
  4. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Is it a tablet that we cannot buy because it is only for business customers/companies?

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

what model?

6. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not to mention the specs are kind of crap, especially the screen res.

I miss the 8-inch market too. I think the main factor that led to its death however was the death of the Atom Platform. Core M3.....as far as I'm aware can't be put in devices smaller then 9.7inches....and Core M's have (or had) a significant higher price tag then Atoms. True there are Celron and Pentium options....but they all kind of suck and reputation wise they are as bottom of the barrel as you can get. Atom's for all their problems at least had a halfway decent rep, especially with Bay & Cherry Trail.

And part of the death of the 8-incher I would blame at Microsoft. If memory serves.....Microsoft really sweetened the pot for OEM's to make 8-inch devices in the first place. They practically gave Win 8.1 lisecnes for them to use free.....and for a time even threw in Office 2013 completely free.....I still have and use Office 2013 by way of the license's that came with my purchase of two of the Asus Note 8's. With the switch to Windows 10....which was less tablet friendly....and the shift to the subscription based Office 365....couple with the death of the Atom CPU......there just wasn't a compelling enough reason to still put out 8-inchers.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

This is a favorite topic of many vets of TPCR and there are several threads - particularly from the days of the rumored, almost actually released Microsoft Surface Mini (it might have had a different name) a prodcut that was designed and produced in release quantities and Panos killed it literally the night before he was going to announce it. Lots of folklore but also the subject of the 8" tablet with Wacom EMR has been so popular here that this alone may be its kiss of death! The problem being, if a device or concept is hugely appealing to this community, history has proven it is probably not of interest to mass markets. Now that Apple is offering their pencil with a $300 9.7" iPad, they may consider releasing their mini again.

And while we're conjecturing, I wonder if the new Chromebook/Android tablets might evolve to 8" variations. The OS is promising and the sole announced offering - from Acer - looks pretty good except a mediocre cpu - Rockchip OP1. I don't know what is needed to run one of those efficiently enough. I still get use out of my 2013 Samsung Note 8 *tablet* - not to be confused with the phablet phone of 2017 - and I'd be fine with just a small boost to the performance that any number of SOCs could muster. The form factor is great and really does fill a need, but I agree that the products and their internal hardware have to be good enough to engender market interest.

10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I doubt they would release an 8-inch Surface Mini.....maybe as a dual screen phone concept.....but not as competition to the cheaper iPad. 9.7/10 inch screens still seem to be the sweet spot.....even Apple seems to have abandoned the iPad Mini.....and that used to sell better then the regular sized ipad. Another rational for the demise of the 8-inch device.....they still served a purpose when phones were in the 4-5inch size....but now the 6-7inch screen size phone/phablet has gotten more wide spread.....keeping a tablet only (technically) slightly bigger....in addition to a similar size phone does come off...somewhat redundant. If the Note 8 Phone didn't have that annoying 21:9 aspect ratio screen.....it alone would be pretty perfect.

More likely....I do still see hope for a Surface 4......10.6 inch....8th gen Core M3.....Basically the Galaxy Book 10.6, but with a Kickstand and a MPP pen. If they price it around $500 with the Keyboard cover and pen included......that would be sufficient competition to the cheaper ipad....which comes to $500 when you factor in the pen and keyboard purchase. But a $300 Surface 4 (no keyboard/no pen) would also be quite attractive.

I do however see a potential future of 8-inch devices revitalized by the current Chrome Book craze......but even then.....Chrome Books are only really big because of their place in the Education markets.....which necessitates having a keyboard.......and 9.7/10 inch is the smallest you can really get and still have a useable keyboard. Most of the 8-inch keyboard options are so uncomfortable, they're practically useless. The HP Envy 8 with its larger keyboard was certainly interesting...but carrying around a 10-inch keyboard for a 8 inch tablet defeated the whole purpose of having the tablet 8-inches.

lovelaptops likes this.