Developers?

Discussion in 'Professions' started by leaftye, Dec 12, 2013.

1. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Do we have any programmers here writing code for Windows 8/RT tablets, or even Windows Phone? If there are enough of us, we should be able to get a subforum so we can help each other out.

2. gerg

gerg Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been gearing up to start so count me in.

leaftye likes this.
  3. leaftye

Great! I was a programmer for 8+ years, but I haven't done any serious programming in quite a long time, so it'll probably take me a while to do anything very useful. The hardest part will be figuring out what tools are out there, and how to get and use them. Code is just code, unless you're just starting.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  4. gerg

Visual Studio Express is a good place to start since it is free. I work with VS2010 (full version, not express) so am not familiar with the Express concept of Web vs Windows Store vs Windows Desktop versions, but apparently they can be installed side-by-side.

Visual Studio Express

Microsoft Visual Studio Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm also interested in what other IDEs and toolkits are available, but haven't gone looking yet.

5. leaftye

I'll be using Express for a while until I get into it enough to justify the full version. It may be possible to get a discount as an app developer though, and I'll post when I figure it out.

6. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi leaftye,

I probably won't be able to contribute anything that you don't already know as I only have limited knowledge of the AutoHotkey language, but the following pages from MSDN (and pages from there) have been particularly informative for me when developing simple apps for tablets:

Windows desktop app development
    Tablet PC (Windows)

Best of luck!

leaftye likes this.
  7. gerg

You are too modest. Those toolbars are awesome!

8. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks gerg, I'll certainly accept any praise I can get (!) but what I meant is that I really only know AutoHotkey (and no other programming language at all!) and it's unlikely that any developer contributing to this thread will be using that language.