Developer Looking for 2 in 1

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by monkmartinez, Sep 13, 2017 at 3:10 PM.

1. monkmartinez

monkmartinez Pen Pal - Newbie

1. What is your budget?

Less than $800

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

Yes

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

Notebook convertible

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

10+ Inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

No more macbooks :)

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

As many as possible, but I don't have a hard requirement. I carry a large cap external battery

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Python development, Email, Web, small video edits, adobe stuff

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

I would love to run linux, but I will settle with Windows

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

MS Office, OneNote! Various IDE's for development, READING in tablet mode!!!

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

Not really...

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

No

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

Nothing below 1080p if possible.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

No

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Yes, I would like to have a pen if possible. Wacom if possible.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

128 bare minimum, 8gb bare minimum RAM

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

Would like usb-c, usb-a 3.0, and microSD

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

I don't mind buying something one or two generations old if it is good hardware, for example, older thinkpads.

2. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

If you move quick you could grab an open box N9P from Best Buy while they are still offering their $200 discount. With TAX it would push you slightly over budget a bit though? It's only a dual core though so it depends how big the files are that you're compiling? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/review...-256gb-solid-state-drive-titan-silver/5886107
    It's reported to offer good Linux support if you decided to go that route at some point. https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/6r4lbx/the_new_samsung_notebook_9_pro_is_close_to_the/

Here's the device discussion thread http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...nd-15-flippers-with-windows-10-and-spen.72302

WillAdams likes this.
  3. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

@monkmartinez I suggest Thinkpad Yoga 370. Hunting one for $800 or less will be a challenge, but it is doable, especially since you're in USA.

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If you want to use it as a reading/work tablet, then Newer than Older is probably a good direction to shoot in.

Personally, I find glowing screens a lot less conducive to reading than eInk or paper. But the eInk market is limited, and you simply can't use those devices for much of anything else.

But in the glowy-screen market maybe one of those new Galaxy Books? -If you don't install the patches and updates, then supposedly they're pretty good on battery life. They're in your budget if you can snag a deal, have Wacom pens, decent size and power. Reviews are quite positive.

Here's an open-box at BestBuy for $799...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-galaxy-book-12-128gb-silver/5843604.p?skuId=5843604

They have some $449 ones if you don't mind dropping from a 12" to a 10" screen.