Details on Fujitsu's Newest UMPC

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by Tiffany Boggs, Apr 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiffany Boggs

Tiffany Boggs Editor/Site Admin Senior Member

Fujitsu is entering the UMPC market with a splash. They recently unveiled their newest UMPC design at Intel Developers Forum. Not much has been released about the specs, but we did get some information on what this tiny Tablet will be sporting.

[​IMG]

Some Specs for the Fujitsu UMPC:

Intel Sealey processor
      1GB memory
      40GB hard disk
      SD reader
      2 cameras
      5.6-inch (1024 x 600) display
      Equipped with two core battery and optional four core battery that can last 7 hours.

It seems to have a nice Tablet PC design, since the screen rotates and lays flat over the keyboard. No word on pricing or when exactly this will be available, but rumors are saying maybe this summer.

Hopefully we will see this UMPC hit the market soon, but then again none of this is set in stone. Just keep your eyes peeled because information is leaking out everywhere and this Tablet/UMPC is sure to be in the news for awhile.

Via Hardspell

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks Tiffany,
    What intrigues me is that they have managed to insert 1GB memory in this little beauty, yet the slightly larger P1610 suffers from the 170 PIN Micro Dimm 512MB as standard.

Regardless, it's a lovely looking machine.... You couldn't get more portable than this. :)

3. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

I knew Mike would love this news...

4. The Niles

The Niles Scribbler - Standard Member

This is a new generation of devices and rules are a bit different as to what it can and cannot get squeezed into its innards. What surprises me is how technologically less sophisticated machines like the R2H can have normal S0-DIMM memory and the P1610 cannot. But it likely a design choice rather than a necessity.
    In any case this looks like a nice device but it is too small to a candidate for my (hypothetical) next UMPC. I like the screen resolution but would need a 7” screen at the very least. Otherwise it looks very good and I’m just talking about the appeal of the design. Very desirable.

5. P8RSON

You know me too well Gautam. :)

6. deepak

deepak Scribbler - Standard Member

really beautiful machine. This sealey processor is something new to my ears, I gotta do some more research on that.

7. terencec

terencec Pen Pal - Newbie

Since Fujitsu already has P1610, Is it really need another UMPC, is it a "big" market for UMPC? The screen is just too small for me. I just wait for Fujitsu to upgrade the P1610 to core dual, >1GB memory, video cam and Wacom screen!

I really like the size but cannot read the fonts on such small screen. If this trend continue (sure it will), the UMPC may combine with the cell phone and the screen will be just 3 inches and the resolution is 1024x768! We have to wear a magnifier to read the screen.:)

8. P8RSON

It's my guessing that users of the Windows Mobile PDA market is where most likely this will catch someone's eye.

I remember fondly when HP released the iPAQ4700 which had a large screen of 4.5" over the norm which was 3.8"
    In the eyes of PocketPC users, this was considered a BIG difference.

9. terencec

terencec Pen Pal - Newbie

One day, the price of UMPC is not much different from Palm/Pocket PC. By that time, Palm will go out of the business. Who would like to buy Palm OS when MS OS is more popular. I still had hard time to understand how most people can read such small screen at such high res. Even P1610 has "big screen", I feel tried to read it after a while. Of course, we can change to low res but we cannot see much.

I agree it is good replacement for Palm/Pocket PC if the price is right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.