Detachable 2-in-1 with discrete graphics? Or a convertible that's really easy to use as a tablet.

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by fuzzybabybunny, Aug 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fuzzybabybunny

fuzzybabybunny Pen Pal - Newbie

Something like the Acer Switch 7 Black edition would be perfect, but it hasn't been released yet and there seems to be massive issues with heat management.

I'm primarily looking for:
    - lightweight
    - easy and light to use as a tablet for drawing, jotting notes, etc
    - discrete graphics for video and photo processing
    - multiple Thunderbolt ports
    - easy to service yourself, so easy to open (not glue like Surface stuff)
    - upgradeable SSD at least and RAM as well preferably.
    - integrated 4G LTE would be a huge plus

1. What is your budget?

Ideally $1600 USD or lower.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

Absolutely.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

Notebook Convertible with Detachable Keyboard

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 12-14 inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

I want a brand that is easy to service yourself - SSD upgrade, RAM upgrade, repairs

Microsoft is the WORST for this, so no Microsoft.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

4+ hours

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Video and photo editing on the go, so need discrete graphics and large amount of RAM.
    Drawing

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

Windows 10 but be able to install and support Ubuntu (Linux).

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, Lightroom
    Solidworks

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

Sure. Anything that will run ok at 1080p or even just 720p.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

No

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

Higher than 300 dpi.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

No

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Yes, need an active pen with pressure sensitivity.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

Expandable SSD and RAM needed.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

At least 2 Thunderbolt ports.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Just because nobody has seen fit to tell you, I think the device you are seeking is presently a "unicorn" or, for something more earthly, the very Acer Swift 7 you referenced. Why do you think we filled up umpteen pages in anticipation of the Swift 7? Total fantasy wish list item. Take the dGPU, add user-serviceable RAM/SSD and add integrated LTE and you are really not on this planet - at present. Give it a year or so and you may have options, but I think the thermals of gpus will get you and keep the Dells, Lenovos, HP (business), etc. out of that business in <14" form factors.

You lose the Surface Book "almost, not quite" options (eg, SB2 13, but way over your price point with dGPU/16GB RAM/large SSD) with the quaint idea of making both RAM and SSD upgradeable. (I'm not making fun of you, rather of the state of product design today!) You could probably get closer to your price point with a close-out SB1, but I don't think that d-GPU would have the muscle for video editing - and of course we're doing away with the sweet idea of having a user-serviceable device. Oh, and of course no LTE; it's phone or hot spot device for that.

Could you live with a 15", 4.4 lb chunk of machine? If so, there's the HP Spectre x360 15 (the 13" version isn't sold with a dGPU). I'm certain it has replaceable SSD and I believe even one open RAM slot. It has thermal issues and HP QC issues, but they are not keeping many people from buying, even keeping them in fistfulls. Plus their gorgeous lookers. Again, no integrated LTE.

I feel better giving you feedback even if it doesn't solve your objective than just leaving you on ignore, though you may differ. :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.