Desktop ON vs. Modern ON

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by Kumabjorn, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

So I got my ASUS VivoTab Note 8 a few hours ago. Yaay!
    This is my first Array into the Modern (Metro) version of OneNote. I'd consider myself reasonably dexterious in the good ole desktop version (2010 or 2013) but the Modern version is a bit different and not as intuitive, at least initially. I can see that it is probably a better version to use for a pen/stylus then the desktop version. But I can't figure out how to access certain menu commands in this new interface. I googled for some tutorials on the differences but Google is getting less and less irrelevant, at least for my needs. I'd sure appreciate some recommendations.

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Honestly most of us use the desktop version. Office 2013 is touch friendly enough, and as you are seeing the metro version lacks features. I only use the metro version to insert pictures from the camera into my notes.

3. antonioz

antonioz Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Mesosphere. It isn't possibile to insert pictures from the camera into notes in ON Deskop?
    Can we ask it to Microsoft?

4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Not directly into one note. You can take the picture and then insert using the file picker, but you can't grab it directly from the camera except in the metro app.

5. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

The Metro app is pretty good, but the Desktop just gives you more.

I don't know if they changed this, but when I used the Metro app with a active stylus, it automatically locked you onto that and made it difficult to select options in that little pinwheel. That alone was enough to make me stop using that version of ON.

6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

They fixed that issue a while ago, Touch/Ink works as expected...

7. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh ok, in that case it's a nice simple note taking option. I liked it well enough when I used it, but I like the Desktop version better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.