Desktop Customization

Discussion in 'Software' started by Smiley, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smiley

Smiley Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all!

Do you have your desktop customized in any way?

Is it worth it on a tablet PC? (would too many resources be used?) I did use Objectdock for a while and am now taking a look at Rocketdock and Rainmeter.
    I am using 32-bit Vista Business but wish I could use Windows 7's dock.

I want to allow my desktop to work best for me (especially in tablet mode). Is there a way I could better use the start menu and Vista's taskbar?

I would just like your thoughts and/or experiences in general. Any pictures would be appreciated also.

-Smiley :)

2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

mhh, Rainmeter is a very powerful tool, but difficult and CPU hungry, too.
    Rocketdock, it's simple, and worth a consideration.
    An alternative would be CircleDock

If it's worth?
    Difficult to tell. I played with rainmeter a bit, but well, I barely take a look at the desktop, so no, I have it removed again.
    Docks are nice, and maybe useful on Vista.
    On 7 however, the taskbar is enough. There I have Opera, PDF Revu, my most used folder and a recent program fixed, the remaining often used programs (18) are attached to the start menu (I disabled to show recent used programs). The rest gets opened by the start menu search.
    So there's no need for a dock for me.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Smiley

Smiley Pen Pal - Newbie

I tested out circledock (though not for very long) and it looks like it wont work with a tablet pen. It uses the mouse wheel button or any extra buttons beyond 3 on a regular mouse.

Is ritePen worth taking a look at? For gestures or for a better tablet experience in general?

Any more thoughts or experiences anyone? What is your setup like?

4. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've used ritePen and I would say that it depends... I think that it was good for XPTablet, but Vista and Win7 both have better pen inputs and so I didn't install it in those operating systems. Have you tried out the other docks... I used yz dock for a while and IIRC it worked just fine with the pen input.

5. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

You might want to check this thread. Like they say pictures worth more than a thousands words. :D

I've been an avid user of ObjectDock since I'm using Vista, and it seems to be continuing despite I'm already using 7. ObjectDock does take some RAM, but since it's considerably stable and not that CPU hungry, I think it is worth to keep. Tab features also a value-added feature.

Seven's SuperBar is a major improvement, but I don't like the idea of having too much oversized shortcuts (just a few for frequently used programs is OK) eating up my taskbar real estate, that I have to scroll for a program that is actually currently active (as opposed to the space taken by inactive program).

Ergo, I'm using ObjectDock along with superbar. (see my latest screen cap in above thread).

Rainmeter is nice, but like Frank said, it is also CPU hungry. So I'd prefer the in-built gadget, just go dig the gadget gallery and you'll find something similar with that of Rainmeter.

More recommendations:

• Stardock Fence
    • Ink desktop (if you'd prefer using your whole desktop instead of more compact 7's sticky notes )
    • Switcher : Mimicking Mac's Expose, especially useful in keyboard-less windows switching.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. pmatulew

pmatulew Scribbler - Standard Member

CircleDock let me clean up the clutter on my desktop. The only reason I can think of that you would need the mouse wheel or a third button is to rotate the icons around the circle. Not an essential function in tablet mode. Rotate it the way you want with the keyboard and then leave it alone.

I used Stroke-it to configure a gesture to toggle CircleDock on and off.

RitePen is new to me. I'm still getting acquainted with it, but I'm liking it so far. It frees you from the constraints of the TIP. it does take a bit of adjusting the settings to make it work for you though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.