dell xt2 multi-touch

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by stumms, Apr 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stumms

stumms Pen Pal - Newbie

i don't get it? i install windows 7 update via duosense multi-touch works in win7 but not in windows 8 just single touch? I downloaded the latest ntrig drivers and they all install but no multi-touch? Please help i'm so frustrated!

2. georgedavidson

georgedavidson Pen Pal - Newbie

This is one of the most frustrating problems because of which I didn't buy a dell xt2 xfr even though it was within my budget and I really liked the SSD powered fast user experience. I asked the shopkeeper about this and he said xt2 did not have multi-touch. I told him this was ridiculous and that dell has that stated on its website. But he refused to accept it since it was running windows 8 at that time.Anyways, I spent quite a few days searching for a solution to this problem. Eventually I decided not to buy it but during this time I did come across a solution that I will share here.

I am not a hardcore developer or a very techy guy but I did understand reading the article that the main problem was with N-trig not being able to devise a solution for windows 8. If you've used the duosense drivers you should read the manual as well. It actually confirmed what I read on the article. The N-trig screen actually has a chip with it, unlike normal screens or initial wacom screens, that has a firmware essential for the touch to work in addition to the usual windows driver. That is the problem. The solution outlined by the article, confirmed by various user comments and also sounding pretty logical based on the duosense manual was that the firmware first has to be flashed to the latest release and then the driver. I recall the duosense manual had a warning at the end that if the firmware is fiddled with and incorrectly flashed the screen could loose the touch capability forever. It is similar to when, say, you root your android smartphone to flash a custom firmware and something goes wrong and you brick your phone.

So the solution is to follow the duosense instructions sequentially in windows 7, i.e. to first flash the firmware, install the latest drivers and then to UPGRADE to windows 8 instead of a clean install that would require you to format your hdd to remove all traces of windows 7. I recall a guy confirming that he tried all of this by dual booting windows 7 that was loaded to an external hdd. So you should try any of these that works for you because it is clear that a clean windows 8 install messes the firmware and N-trig simply hasn't as yet come with a solution that would enable the user to flash the firmware while in windows 8.

You could also ask for detailed guidance on this in the HP TX2 forum because that also has the exact same N-Trig touchscreen and suffers the same nuisance. And because of the absolute need to go through this hassle while running the risk of loosing touch capability if something were to go wrong flashing the firmware I decided not to buy any of them.

I hope this helps. Do share if you were able to get it to work and how.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.