Dell XT vs HP tx2 ?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by davidd31415, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidd31415

davidd31415 Pen Pal - Newbie

A few other thoughts...

The Latitude XT ships with an external CD/DVD drive but you can not use that drive unless you buy additional equipment.

If you plan on using Windows 7 the Latitude XT wireless card may have intermittent problems. If I am transferring large amounts of data (copying files on LAN, streaming video) the network card stops working and I've only been able to correct it with a reboot. I think this is from using Vista drivers in Windows 7.

When I first tried I was unable to use Windows 7 multitouch features on the XT. I heard newer drivers have been released but I'm not sure if they enable paint, photo viewing, etc. Maybe someone here can chime in with more info.

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

There are drivers available that enable Windows 7 multitouch features on the XT.

At this point though, I'm not sure I'd recommend either of the two. First of all, if you're going with Dell, you'd probably want the XT2 which has been much more actively supported for drivers lately, and I don't think the price difference is that much any more. The hardware isn't that much different, but unfortunately, Dell's attitude between the two is. And if you were going with an HP consumer product, the tm2 is much better than the tx2.

But secondly, if I was buying now, I'd most likely look at some of the other tablets coming out.

As for the Dell's boot time, I can't comment on that, because I replaced the internal drive with an Mtron 32GB SSD, and it boots in under ten seconds. And with the CD/DVD drive, it was my understanding that Dell supplied the USB external bay to use the drive in with all of the refurbs, though I could be mistaken. It's a weird USB connector that connects to a specific USB port on the back, so that it can draw extra power from the port.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.