Dell XPS 15 9575 - Pen pressure inconsistency in Photoshop

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Waleis, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Waleis

Waleis Pen Pal - Newbie

I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15 because it supports Wacom AES 2.0 and I wanted to get back into digital drawing and painting. I admit I absolutely love the virtually nonexistent parallax and how smooth and clean it feels when drawing. Well, some of the time. I've noticed that every time I attempt to draw or paint I suffer from a lack of consistency in pen pressure. Everything is smooth and glorious at first, but then random strokes are thick and solid as if the pen pressure just quit working momentarily. Makes for a pretty frustrating experience.

I'm using a Wacom Bamboo Smart Stylus at present, and waiting for the Dell Premium Active pen to arrive after about 3 weeks of delay.

I'm also stuck using a rather old version of Photoshop (CS 5.5), as I bought the license back in college in 2011-2012. I've heard folks on here say that older versions of CS are not great with modern Wacom Feel drivers, so I am wonder if that alone is the issue I am experiencing, or if it could be a combination of other issues.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on how best to tweak this machine for better drawing/painting performance? Or recommendations for other software that might work better?

Thanks!