Dell xps 13 convertible - better than iPadPro and Surface pro x?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by siddhartth, Oct 9, 2019.

1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Bezels thinner than iPadPro
    Option of 4k
    Corei7 10th gen icelake with iris plus graphics
    Backlit keyboard
    Microsoft precision trackpad
    Full fat windows 10 and Full OneNote
    Lappable.
    A real one device solution (As opposed to MacBook+iPad+sidecar)
    Need i say more.

Downside : No Apple Arcade or Apple TVplus. ... I can live with that. Just 60Hz display.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Marty and JoeS like this.
  2. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Scribbler - Standard Member

FWIW, I've been using one for a couple weeks now and I don't think I'll be keeping it. The high pitched fan noise is driving me crazy.

siddhartth and Marty like this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Have you had the chance to compare this to the Spectre x360 13" OLED? I must admit, these sleeker convertibles are starting to tug at my normally slate-only heartstrings...

lovelaptops likes this.
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Just remember, these things still weigh around three pounds. They're getting thinner and generally more compact, but not that much lighter.

siddhartth and lovelaptops like this.
  5. Marty

Funny you should mention that. Looking back on my beloved slates, it seems my tastes have been goin'...heavier. ;)

EP121 (2011)
    [​IMG]
    • 312 x 207.2 x 16.95 mm
    • 1.16 kg (2.56 lb) w/o keyboard
    Z Canvas (2015)
    [​IMG]
    • 301 × 213 × 13.65 mm
    • 1.21kg (2.67 lb) w/o keyboard

Continuing the trend:

Spectre x360 13" OLED (2019)

[​IMG]
    • 306.8 x 194.5 cm x 17 mm
    • 1.3kg (2.88 lb)
    XPS 13 2-in-1 7390
    [​IMG]

• 296 x 207 x 13 mm
    • 1.33 kg (2.9 lb)
    It would seem these new machines are beckoning me... ;)

siddhartth, lovelaptops and JoeS like this.
  6. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Scribbler - Standard Member

I can't compare to the Spectre, but I can say the i7 surface pro and 15" Surface Book are both quieter and lower pitched. This fan also rarely turns off, even if temps are under control.

Marty likes this.
  7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Warning: pent up rant coming.

The Dell XPS series has, for 5+ years now, been zooming to the top of all commercial reviewers' lists and, based on design/specs/performance not without good reason, Except....

This line - like most Dell consumer devices - has a truly miserable track record of QC problems, unreliability, missing/malfunctioning drivers, coil whine/loud fans and other assorted problems that make the ownership experience entirely different than the photos, specs and benchmarks (and prices) would lead you to expect. Check out any large quantity of owner reviews for virtually any model year of the XPS 13 and 15 on, say, Amazon, adjust for the bias towards reporting negative experiences over positive, etc, and you'll see that, compared to most competing devices, the XPS owners are generally more unhappy with their purchases - and mixed on Dell's support - so as to keep this drooler over all the bling from ever pulling the trigger on one. FWIW, I've written to several commercial tech rag reviewers who give the XPS 13 "5 Stars; we never give this rating!" to ask why they don't incorporate QC and ownership experience and the answers have uniformly been: "not my problem; if it works well when I review it, I recommend it for purchase!"

Btw, haven't checked lately, but HP's drool-worthy Spectre line suffers from some of the same quality issues - as do even some business class models - so the caution is to do your research, make sure you have at least 30 days to return for full refund, and know you're taking your chances. Fwiw, my experience with Surface products - and the data - suggest that despite annoying feature omissions, these devices are far more likely to be reliable and rewarding to own. Every time I have looked in depth, the XPS 13 variations have the highest dissatisfaction levels in large volume owner reviews. Caveat emptor.

8. Marty

That's a pretty interesting suggestion.

There are almost no reviewers (and pretty much zero review sites) that will document the warranty/CS experience. You're left with just anecdotal reddit/forum posts...perhaps there's an opportunity for a new, 'service & support' focused review niche?

And regarding QC, again it's a black box where pretty much only the manufacturer has the statistics necessary to make an accurate judgement.

I wonder if in the future, consumer standards laws will force hardware companies to show a MTTF curve (for say, the 3 likeliest components to fail) as an additional sticker along with the warranty label.

This could be a game changer...triggering competition in reliability, instead of just looks and price.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I do find Amazon owner reviews to be a pretty good database - both summary stats (avg stars) and individual reviews, ranked by helpfulness. Virtually as useful as a consumer reports database but you get to see the raw data. Very telling. Try it with products you've owned and loved/hated.

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Used to be, but less and less so. I'm guessing it has become way easier to recruit an army of fake reviewers, because more than once I've bought a "five star item" with hundreds of reviews, only to come back in a few months later to see that the rating has plummeted after real people actually buy the product. I've started sorting by 'most recent' and looking for negative reviews there, hoping to catch a credible one.

lovelaptops and Marty like this.