Dell XPS 13 9365 2-in-1

Discussion in 'Dell' started by kvoram, Jan 3, 2017.

1. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Any good deals on this device with the Wacom pen?

2. blarbles

blarbles Pen Pal - Newbie

7 Months with the 9365:

Dell (and probably Microsoft) have fixed almost everything that annoyed me about this 2-in-1 including adaptive brightness, wifi disconnects after waking from sleep, issues when rotating the device, and other minor things. I have religiously updated drivers and checked every 15 days or so. The Dell update app never finds them all. Other things:
    • It still has cable whine. Mostly when plugged in, but occasionally also during multimedia playback on battery.
    • Battery life is mediocre. No way it gets 15hrs. More like 6-7 for web browsing.
    • Camera FINALLY rotates properly in Skype when in tent mode so you can avoid nostril cam.
    • Every 4 - 5 times it sleeps, when it wakes up a huge chunk of battery missing the next day. This is so annoying and there appears to be no pattern as to why.
    • The pen is slightly laggy and palm rejection sometimes fails.
    • WHY doesn't this wake up when you open the lid OR press a key? You have to use the damn power button which is squishy so it's hard to get physical feedback. The only good thing related to this is Dell released a bios update so that as soon as the power button is pressed Dell light up the keyboard so you know you've actually pressed it. Before you were just guessing.
    • Fairly impressed with build quality. It has held together well and the hinge hasn't shown any sign of losing stiffness.
    • Battery and SSD are fairly easy to replace.
    • So glad I went with the FHD screen both for battery life and I really have never been disappointed in the screen resolution when using it.
    Love:
    • Laptop size and weight
    • Screen versatility, brightness, and edge-to-edge display
    • Fanless, so almost dead quiet
    • Build quality
    • USB-C Charging on either side
    Meh:
    • Pen
    • Takes Dell 4 months to fix major problems with drivers
    • Battery - It's not the worst but it isn't great either
    • Windows handling laptop to tablet mode could be much better
    • Dell's update software sucks
    • Collects fingerprints/marks on carbon fiber
    • Cable whine
    • Would have liked a full size SD slot instead of micro
    • Windows in general
    Hate:
    • Unpredictable battery drain every 4-5 sleep cycles - I don't know if I should blame Microsoft or Dell for this
    • Can only wake it up from power button (after extended sleep)
    • Power button is squishy with little tactile feedback

ships10, kvoram and Art_N00b like this.
  3. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for the info!
    So is this a worthy purchase ? I wonder if I should get one now or wait for Windows 10S?

4. jason9900

jason9900 Pen Pal - Newbie

Dell Inspiron 15 7560 is also a great laptop. It also has a bezel-less display and some powerful specs. The spec list includes
    - Windows 10
    - Intel i7
    - 8GB or 16GB RAM
    - Nvidia GT 940 MX 2GB or 4GB
    - 1 TB SATA
    Also, the Dell Support number is always available so in case of any trouble you can always contact them.

5. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Scribbler - Standard Member

Ummm spam?

6. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Scribbler - Standard Member

So I picked up one of these recently and have been having some studdering issues. Like when I go to move the cursor it takes a second to register. I also have an issue where things randomly click (probably from the trackpad). Last but not least, I have the.... is there going to be battery charge when I open it up issue. Sometimes I put it away and open it to a full charge, other times I come back after an hour or 2 and its halfway dead.

This is sad because I love the look and feel of this laptop but I think its going to go back. The studdering could be due to the processor going to its lower power state then being slow to ramp up. The trackpad issue is probably me. The battery though, that's a bit of a deal breaker. This thread is littered with people who have that issue and even after bios updates its not fixed. When the full i5/i7 xps 13 non convertible can last 12-15 hours and this is struggling with 6 consecutive hours, that's not good.