Dell XPS 13 9365 2-in-1

Discussion in 'Dell' started by kvoram, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Elmstrom

Elmstrom Pen Pal - Newbie

Any one know if they are will start selling more options with the FHD screen in EU. So far it is only the 4GB model that has FHD, i really dont need more pixles to draw power and battery.

2. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That review also shows how silly it is that Dell is now marketing thermal throttling as "Dynamic Power Mode". o_O

Hey, it's not a bug, it's a feature! :mad:

Take a look at these two superficial, uncritical articles from Engadget and MSPowerUser, which serve more as editorial advertisements for Dell than actual reporting:
    https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/29/the-making-of-dells-xps-13-2-in-1/
    https://mspoweruser.com/dell-says-xps-13-2-1-defeated-intels-core-m-performance-issues/

Personally, I also think that review should have been a lot more critical about CABC, such a display shouldn't be able to get a 83% rating.

3. Jackson Jefferson

Jackson Jefferson Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been using Dell since it launched Latitude Series and very much happy with the system.
    This one looks dynamic and the specifications given are unmatched as per my knowledge.
    To be honest Corning Gorilla Glass Display would be the game changer here.

Thank you,
    Jackson Jefferson

4. Xer0

Xer0 Pen Pal - Newbie

what is see is:

XPS 13
    + digitizer stylus
    + fanless
    + lighter and smaller
    - no usb A
    - webcam position

Spectre x360
    + USB A
    + faster
    + optimal webcam position
    - no active stylus
    - no sd slot

5. Rayz

Rayz Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been seriously considering this XPS 2-in-1 but this Content Adaptive Brightness issue is certainly making me hesitate. I'm looking for a 2-in-1 that has a good keyboard for regular University schoolwork, but also an active stylus so that I can mark up digital notes/textbooks. I've tested the Surface Pros and don't like the limited positions to hold the on my lap during my commute to/from school. Do any of you have a recommendation of a good machine for me to research further?

6. ATIVQ

ATIVQ Vā…Oā…„ Senior Member

Dell eventually released a firmware update for the 9350 that allows disabling adaptive brightness, maybe hold off buying until they release one for the 9365.

The Elitebook 1030 G2 with the 4K display is probably the most similar device. The new HP Spectre x360 has a Synaptics pen which is not recommended. Both are not fanless and have a Core i-U processor.

7. Rayz

Rayz Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks ATIVQ...I'll check out the Elitebook 1030 G2 but as you suggest, will hold off for a bit to see if Dell releases updated firmware to allow user control of this feature. Good thing I'm in no major hurry.

8. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Dell only released an update for the QHD+ version of the 9350. There is still no solution for those with a FHD display. So I wouldn't be surprised if they pull the same crap on the 9365.
    I have yet to see any positive remarks about CABC, but I have seen plenty of complaints. Yet Dell decided to do it again, that is beyond my comprehension... I guess those resulting inflated battery life results make the marketing folks happy...

@Rayz That depends on more factors, what are your requirements? You may also want to take a look at this list as a starting point: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/posts/491032/

9. blarbles

blarbles Pen Pal - Newbie

@Xer0 I owned the x360 briefly after the 9365 and the fan noise was really annoying to me. It would turn on and be annoyingly noticeable when doing things like just checking for Windows update. I think I've been spoiled by MacBook Pros. The thing that bugged me most is the x360 seemed to go from silent to noisy to silent all the time when I would rather have something that was consistently quieter. I'm not expecting miracles like gaming with no fan noise.

@kvoram Someone on Reddit claims a Dell rep (also on Reddit) has promised a firmware update to turn off CABC on the FHD 9365. Hopefully this is true.

ATIVQ likes this.
  10. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member

That fan noise is something HP seems to not get right in their whole range.
    My company gave me a probook 850 G2 and there it is constantly going up/down/up....
    My thinkpad x131e had a constant running fan, that was a lot better.

ATIVQ likes this.