Dell Venue or HP Envy tablet?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Kerper, Aug 21, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerper

Kerper Pen Pal - Newbie

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

HP for the use of Wacom AES and cheaper price. Never again spending over $200 for an Atom CPU device. Can't sell my Surface 3 to save my life...

3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

HPE8N, heard of problems with the Dell digital pen tech, don't remember exactly where on this forum. Been using the HP, great device, if you don't actuality expect it to handle i5 level tasks. Also the storage problem could be offset with an sdxc card (64 /100gb) for installing apps. If you get the HP, go for the MS signed version, it's got no junk wares as the HP version.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If I'm not mistake the newer/current Venue 8 Pro switched to AES as well, so it should be pretty decent.

If you can snag the HP cheap enough off Ebay it might be worth a go, but with the $300+ price still being official as far as HP and Microsoft are concerned, I'd go with the Dell simply for the higher memory models.

HP only offering 2GB/32GB in 2016 is pathetic. Even the Slate 500 from 6 years ago had 2GB/64GB.....and that was barley acceptable then. I mean we're already at the point where cell phones have better specs. The Galaxy Note 7 has 6GB of Ram for crying out loud. Its sad that 2GB is still considered acceptable for running Windows 10.

5. Kritter

Kritter Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got my HP EN8 and I'm really missing the extra memory BUT the wacom pen is so much better than my dell venue 11 pro 7140. I read that the Venue 8 pro also has wacom but there are pen issues. You can search about that here in the forum.

Memory-wise, 32GB is indeed really small and you will have a big trouble in upgrading to Win 10 AU via the update application. You get the device maybe at 13GB free and that won't be enough. You can still get the update via the Win 10 Media Tool which seems to just upgrade your current version therefore it does not require 20GB of free space. I chose to keep nothing during the upgrade (granted I had nothing in the tablet since it is new) and I ended up with 20GB free of 28GB before deleting the previous version of windows. Plus having a fast 128GB micro SD card formatted to NTFS, I now have a good amount of memory.

I think it will boil down to usage. Don't expect good multitasking on the EN8 because you won't really get that, but for note-taking and ebook viewing purposes. I say getting it for 155$ was a really good bargain.

6. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Oh jeez, for some reason I thought it was the 11" witth the Synaptics because of the price. The Venue 8 Pro can be had for less than $200 so the $300 threw me off.

Don't spend that much on an Atom tablet. No no no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.