dell venue 8 pro or asus note 8?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by ultra99, Apr 25, 2014.

1. ultra99

ultra99 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm in a dilemma, i'm looking for reading lots of pdfs/docs and annotate.

Dell Venue 8 Pro:
    Pros:resolution, on sale now (CAD 270 WITHOUT stylus (approx 300 with stylus), 32gb (i don't mind)
    Cons: i'm not sure about synaptics and their stylus tech.

Asus note 8:
    Pros: built-in stylus + wacom tech
    Cons: 64gb version available only, therefore very expensive (CAD 420 + tax)

Help!

UPDATE: now there's the HP Slate 7 Extreme, but i'm not quite sure about the stylus. (i don't mind android, as long as I can read pdfs/docs and annotate)

2. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA Pen Pal - Newbie

It depends on how you use the tablet , De venue 8 pro supports full windows 8.1 (desktop) and in my opinion , it is probably better than android tablets because in android you get mini version of everything , if you compare the a windows app with an android app then you'll clearly notice that , lets say its Adobe PDF , for windows the version is beast while for android , it is optimized for mobiles . If you would like to read on internet then again Dell venue 8 pro is the winner because you can never get the fun of internet on android as you get it on actual desktop browser no matter how much browsers you've installed! For Reading/PDF/Docs i will suggest you Dell venue 8 pro over Asus Note 8 and HP slate 8 as it is much worthy , inexpensive and valuable . Besides the reading etc . If you like to create documents then Dell venue 8 pro has pre installed Microsoft Office. If you like art and editing , you can use alot of Photo + Video editing softwares which are probably better than android versions. And beside these you can enjoy Desktop quality games :D haha :D
    Hope it helped ! :) :D

Sent from my LG-E900 using Tapatalk

3. ultra99

Thanks. But this won't be my main device, as I have a powerful laptop that I will be doing productive stuff on it.

4. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Seems you think the Asus is an android tablet but it runs Windows as well.

Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Inking appears to be much better on the ASUS (Wacom Digitizer) then on the Dell (Synaptics Digitizer), but there is an issue with some of the ASUS models having their pens stop working. I believe the HP is using NVIDIA's DirectStylus Technology as it is running the Tegra4 (Same SoC as the Surface 2). Rumor that there will be the Surface MINI by mid-may with a Digitizer as well.

6. ultra99

Man, now a surface mini? lol

I like the price of the HP slate, CAD 220 + tax. The rest seem to be CAD 300 and up!
    Again, I'd prefer win8, but if price is high, i'm okay with android, i won't be writing massive notes by hand, just minor annotations to scientific papers if I have to.

7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

If you are ok with Android, and...ok with 7" instead of 8, I can highly recommend both the hp slate 7 extreme and the Tegra Note 7 (similar, but some significant differences; read this at least before deciding. Advantage of hp is 21 days to return for refund and not sure any EVGA Tegra seller offers that - though Microsoft store offers 30 days to try either AVN8 or DVNP8.

I had the Asus and wanted to love it but it's just a poorly designed/built product and you have to be prepared to fuss a lot with software/drivers, pens, whole unit RMAs, etc. Dell Venue 8 Pro is better in all respects than the Asus except inking, which is pretty much a non-starter with the Synaptics software. The inking in the Tegra-based tablets is superb even though it's not an active digitizer. They have done some fairly magical engineering to make inking with a capacitive screen/stylus as good as Wacom (better at screen edges) except no depth capabilities so fine for note takers, not for artists.

If money was tight and I wanted something to work well out of the box and note taking was a must I would go for the EVGA or the Tegra. (I don't believe in ever buying something you can't return if you don't like it, so consider that in purchase decision and know that there is no risk to any choice you make. I have been using a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 for 6 mos and can't say enough good about it. It's original list price was too high ($US 399) but you can find one for $225 (new, open box or refurb) lots of places and it's been in the market for a year and owners just adore them (present company included) simply because they work so well and are Goldilocks perfect: not to big/small, not too expensive (anymore)/cheaply made, not great battery life but consistent 7 hrs and lots of Spen apps that the Tegra platform will not match for years.

The Tegra/HP intrigue me a great deal. They are far faster than the GN8 and, amazingly, have wonderful audio, making them great personal video watchers and music in background players. The HP is said to have a far better functioning screen (same part #, but HP engineered for brighter, more accurate colors.

The sad fact is that if you want a Windows/x86 capable tablet with Wacom or comparable inking, you have to step up to a Surface Pro or Pro 2, and you're talkng far more $ and weight. The Atom Bay Trail W8 tablets with 8" screens are mostly non-inkers and the inkers (Asus, Dell) have problems that pretty much disqualify them unless you want a science project.

Again, if you can make-do with Android, Galaxy Note 8, HP Slate 7 Extreme and EVGA Note 7 will all take care of you until the next gen of Windows tablets (if there is one!!!) but Jeff Roach is right: (in part because he has inside info!): the Windows Surface Mini may well be the best of all worlds as a companion device, but we're a month or two away from knowing. One other plus for the Samsung GN8: resale value. As long as you buy it right (Under $250) as antiquated as it's hardware is becoming (especially 1280x800 resolution) it will remain highly capable, 100% reliable, well supported inking due to sales/installed base of GN phones and tablets and though the screen is low res by today's standards, it's great for productivity and quite nice for videos. Extremely bright and high contrast offset resolution, plus real life benefits of ridiculous resolutions today totally in the mind, not the eyes! (EG, my SGS4 phone is 400+ ppi and my SGN8 tablet is 188 ppi and I'm hard pressed to experience meaningful difference unless I hunt for very high bandwidth FHD video (of which there is exactly: none among Android streaming services, and who really downloads blue rays to watch on a companion tablet?

Sorry for overkill in review, but you pretty much can't go wrong if you can live w/Android for now.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    HeartStrong07 likes this.
  8. ultra99

Why is the asus significantly more expensive than the dell while they have the same specs? in canada at least...

9. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

Here, they're about the same price. Both €299 for the 32Gb version.

10. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy FORMER Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

It's the same here in the U.S. The Asus model can be found for as little as $300, but the Dell isn't hard to find at $225.

The Wacom digitizer on the VivoTab Note 8 adds to the cost. Devices with one are always more expensive than similarly-specced rivals.