[Dell Venue 8 Pro] On Screen Keyboard Does Not Show on Sign in Page

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Nzyme, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Nzyme

Nzyme Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello folks, as the title says, when I power-on my V8Pro, on the sign in page, I do not see the virtual keyboard for some time. If I leave the tablet for a couple of minutes and then tap on the field to enter the password, it then comes up.

If I need to login instantly, I then have to tap on the "Accessibility" icon and select "On-Screen Keyboard" and then I see the other OSB. Why does the keyboard not show up instantly? Are there any settings that I need to tweak for the virtual keyboard to show quicker? I am running Windows 10 Home (32 bit). Thanks!

2. Dwig

Dwig Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't have a solution, but do have this issue as well. On mine, it is a periodic annoyance. My workaround is to have a picture login set, in addition to both a full password and PIN. I normally use the PIN, but when the keypad fails I find it takes fewer taps to switch to the picture mode than to activate the Accessibility Keyboard. That keyboard, unlike the PIN keypad, is a bit small for easy use with my fat fingers.

3. hdfan23

hdfan23 Pen Pal - Newbie

It's not just the Dell Venue 8 it seems to be a Windows 10 bug. I've experienced this on multiple Dell tablets and even on a Surface. So far the only solution is the Accessibility keyboard. Another issue I've experienced is when using Edge, clicking into a text field does not bring up the keyboard. Tap anywhere else onscreen then tap back into the field then the keyboard comes up. So something that definitelly needs to be tweaked with the UI of this onscreen keyboard.

4. dooski

dooski Pen Pal - Newbie

I had this problem until i discovered you can swipe the screen up (or down cant remember mines usually in the dock) and the keyboard will appear.

5. Nzyme

Nzyme Pen Pal - Newbie

Actually, after several updates to Win 10 since, the time it takes for the on-screen keyboard to show up has reduced. Now, when I tap on the password box (on the sign-in page) for about 2 or 3 times, it shows the keyboard. A little improvement atleast.

6. Nzyme

Nzyme Pen Pal - Newbie

After installing a couple of desktop programs on my DV8P running the latest Windows 10, I am once again facing this issue. This time, the on-screen keyboard does not show up at all and I have to use the Accessibility button and then use that keyboard instead. Does any of you face this issue as well? If you have had any success with fixing this issue, then please share them for the benefit of others. Thanks!

7. Dwig

Dwig Pen Pal - Newbie

Just guessing, but installing programs shouldn't impact login unless they either alter the onscreen keyboard (very unlikely) or add some utility to the Startup.

I suggest that you launch Task Manager and review the Startup tab. Disable any and all entries that you do not actually need. There are also some Services that could have been added that may or may not be necessary at startup. Those are harder to actually disable permanently.