Dell Venue 8 Pro: How to boot to USB?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by lance0108, Nov 6, 2013.

1. lance0108

lance0108 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, Folks

I just got my 32GB Venue 8 Pro today. I want to format the whole drive and reinstall the system from a USB to free up some space. But the device just would not boot to USB. I did a lot of search but could not find any solution.

Any idea?
    Thanks!

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

Typically you will need a USB Drive formatted FAT32 and then reboot from the Advanced Boot options under the Recovery Control Panel (Modern UI Settings) then chose boot from USB Drive.

3. dprice7

dprice7 Scribbler - Standard Member

You can access the "basic" bios by holding volume down while pressing the power button when the tablet is off (not sleep, but actually shut down).. Hold the volume down until the bios screen appears.. in my boot menu I see my USB drive as a boot option, but it's the lowest priority item, if you move it to the top, it should pick that one to boot from.

4. lance0108

Thanks for the replies!

I've figured it out. The bootable USB should have a 32-bit OS. I kept using a 64-bit OS so it didn't work for me.

5. Fatannasty

Fatannasty Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm glad I found this thread. I received my Dell Venue pro 8 a few days ago.However, I rran into one strange problem, after one system update and one application (chrome) being installed in only have 7.24 GB storage left. If I re-install a 32-bit OS using the bootable USB will that free up some space? If so would you please guide me in the right direction? Any help would be greatly appreciated

6. lance0108

DON'T do it. There is no driver for the touch screen. If you format the disk and re-install the system, the touch screen will be unusable! Dell has not provided the driver yet!
    Just get a 64GB version!

7. Fatannasty

Fatannasty Pen Pal - Newbie

Too late....I already have the 32GB version :(-

8. groovypucks

groovypucks Pen Pal - Newbie

I am working with the Venue pro 11. I have been deploying this device to our domain. I have a fat32 USB drive with Windows 8.1 Enterprise.

F12 to the UEFI menu and boot off the USB drive.

Dell Official Site - The Power To Do More | Dell

I normally delete all the partitions and then let windows create the new partitions.

The above comment is correct in a way. After loading windows again the touch screen stops working.
    BUT
    after you load Intel Z3700 series chipset Driver it will work.

Let me know if you have any questions.

9. jorge jaquez

jorge jaquez Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi I have a problem, my tablet dell venue 8 pro 32 gb, I upgraded to 8.1 update and reboot me after I download a windows 8 and install it on a bootable USB and try installing the tablet but when I boot windows did not recognize the touch then install it with keyboard and mouse but when I finish the installation of the windows was pc.ahora I want to know where I can download the original windows of the tablet and the touch drivers because a friend told me that when you change or reinstall the windows at the touch tablet that stops working and needs to be putting on the drivers to work please any help will be useful, thank you very much !!!

10. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Can you restore on the tablet, back to the factory setup? Do a search on the tablet for "restore".