Dell Venue 8 Pro - Game experiences thread (not just touch enabled games!)

Discussion in 'Dell' started by baconstrip, Nov 14, 2013.

1. baconstrip

baconstrip Pen Pal - Newbie

So I plan on using my V8P for gaming on the go, not just touch screen games but real games ;) Here are my current experiences. feel free to add whatever you can!

(FYI, in order to play games, I have used a logitech wireless gamepad with an OTG cable connected to wireless dongle. Works GREAT! Still looking for the perfect tiny keyboard / mouse solution)

Civilization 5 - I was initially having crashes every time I tried to load a game. Changing all settings to the minimum allowed the game to load. Only problem is, it crashes quite quickly after loaded. I am wondering if the Win 8 Touch mode automatically puts the game into DX11. Going to do some research to see if I can get touch controls on DX 9, I would imagine it will run better. Some people have stated that Civ 5 runs just fine on their V8P, but mine is not playable yet. Anyone have a solution? EDIT: Seems to run great under DX9 mode, but then I don't have the touchscreen friendly controls :(

League of Legends - Runs quite well - Be sure to plug in a mouse (thanks Boomwaller!)

Dust - Elysian Tail - Runs quite well, works perfectly from the start with my controller. Also looks beautiful on the screen! No problems.

Shadowrun Returns - Runs quite well and even seems to be playable with the touch screen.

Fez - Choppy, borderline playable. Some levels were really jerky and there isn't much in the way of graphics options. Probably could lower the screen rez.. but then things wouldn't look as beautiful on the screen.

Mount and Blade - Warband Seemed to run great, though could not really do anything without a kb/mouse, so couldn't really test

Legend of Grimrock Runs great at medium settings!

Mark of the Ninja Playable, turn all graphics effects off

Braid Runs great

Crusader Kings II Fairly choppy, Playable though! Don't need high framerate for this game :) Looks pretty, text is tiny.

Walking Dead runs playable, maybe could get by with using a touch screen only? Seemed to work fine

Rogue Legacy Didn't really play past loading it up, but it seemed to run great!

Fallout 2 Actually runs poorly until you download the Fallout 2 Restoration project. After that, the game runs perfectly. BTW, since it is not a game that uses the GPU ,it's a great one to play for an extended duration. Could probably handle 6+ hours of F2 before battery ran out.

Fallout 3 Cannot get it to run. Loads into the menu, starts, but upon loading a new game, crashes every time. Tried a few "fixes", no luck.

Super Meat Boy Runs perfectly

Geometry Wars Runs perfectly

Will post more as I try them out!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
    HTWingNut and onkelosuppo like this.
  2. boomwaller

boomwaller Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey,

For LoL I was running into the same issue, I finally got it working when I hooked up a mouse a USB mouse. I haven't tried a Bluetooth mouse but my wireless mouse and USB mouse both allow me to log in a play LoL. If I have no mouse attached I will run into the same issue that you have with pvp.net failing. If you need screenshots or pics of my setup I would be glad to help, just ask.

3. boomwaller

Hey I was able to get LoL running after using a mouse when trying to run the game. I have used both a USB mouse and USB wireless mouse. I have not tried a Bluetooth one, and if I do not have a mouse plugged in I get the same pvp.net error. I can take screenshots of it running and pics of my setup if you need.

4. cameld00d

cameld00d Pen Pal - Newbie

A lot of it is unfortunately windows 8. I had a hecka time getting Star Trek Online to work, but once it is in it plays beautifully. I played LoL for a couple of years and loved it, might give it a shot and see if I can get it to work but I am leaning towards swapping for the miix2 or trying the acer w4 because of these dang hoops I am jumping through for charge and use usb peripherals.

Best bets are to try compatibility modes, try any safe mode available on the game, see if you can edit the graphics config files and make it as low as possible to start. Change the settings in the intel graphics controls to minimum as well (performance). Don't run anything else at the same time that could steal focus.

5. baconstrip

baconstrip Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow that absolutely worked! Thank you!

6. boomwaller

Glad to see that helped! league has a weird thing that it needs a mouse to launch for some reason. Well if you need help with anything else let me know.

7. jtoverath

jtoverath Pen Pal - Newbie

Got X-Com Working, like LoL it apparently requires a mouse to be connected to work (will have to test a game controller this weekend). I used a bluetooth mouse. Since the game is going to need at least a keyboard (or controller if that works) I guess it won't be an issue. Graphics are definitely choppy and load times are long. Going to have to double check all the SSD setting in the BIOS make sure everything is at top speed.

Still can't get Civ 5 to actually run, crashes when it should load the map.

8. burshturs

burshturs Pen Pal - Newbie

How was the gameplay experience with Xcom? did it run smooth?

9. jtoverath

jtoverath Pen Pal - Newbie

The video seemed kind of jerky from what I saw. I just loaded to see if it would work didn't really do much with it.

10. burshturs

burshturs Pen Pal - Newbie

it would be awsome if its playable.

11. Gloomba

Gloomba Pen Pal - Newbie

Interesting. I will have to download xcom again to see if it will work with a mouse plugged in.

12. teknikk7

teknikk7 Pen Pal - Newbie

Generals & Zero Hour work great.

13. jellycow

jellycow Pen Pal - Newbie

Oops. I started a new thread without checking...I should have posted it here.

Halo Spartan Assault does not work on the Dell Venue Pro 8. I was really looking forward to trying it. It seems like MS is aware of it. I hope they update it soon...

14. teknikk7

20131115_152917.jpg 20131115_152931.jpg

Got XCOM working. Works with or without a mouse. Pretty smooth.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  15. teknikk7

k.jpg

Skyrim also works great. All my games are being run off the SanDisk Extreme 64 GB microSDXC Class 10 UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter (SDSDQX-064G-AFFP-A)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  16. fatxander

fatxander Scribbler - Standard Member

Here's a trick with Crusader Kings 2 for better framerates (in fact I'd bet this makes the game smooth as butter after you do it). One thing that takes a LOT of power, apparently, are the trees. You can manually go into the settings file and disable them, though.

Go to C:\Users\Name\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II . The file you are looking for is "settings.txt". Go into there, and change the line "draw_trees=yes" to "draw_trees=no". (Without quotation marks of course.)

There's some other settings in here you can mess around with, but don't do too much... I know turning the trees off is safe, but can't vouch for the other stuff. ;)

In addition, that same file you can change it from fullscreen mode to windowed mode if you wish... just change "fullScreen=" from "yes" to "no". Last, in the settings.txt file are an "x" and "y" settings for resolution. You can set a custom resolution here, and lowering it may give yourself more readable text..... but not sure on that.

17. M_M_F

M_M_F Pen Pal - Newbie

could you please tell us how you did it, this is one of the i bought my v8 to play it on a small machine :) tell u in details PLZZZZ

18. Parastie

Parastie Pen Pal - Newbie

Could anyone please try Kerbal Space Program....and maybe Dwarf Fortress. :D

19. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Skyrim really runs decently? Did you play for a while? Some T100 reviewers said Skyrim was barely playable. Skyrim on a tablet would be insanely fun.

20. n5800

n5800 Pen Pal - Newbie

LOL can run with Mouse Keys. You can find it in Control Panel at desktop mode.
    Control Panel -> Ease of Access -> Change how your mouse works -> fill the checkbox "Turn on Mouse Keys'
    Have Fun!