Dell Venue 8 Pro and weak wifi connections

Discussion in 'Dell' started by sat99, Sep 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sat99

sat99 Pen Pal - Newbie

I am thinking of purchasing the 8.1 version to use in an apartment complex that gets free wifi signals from our club house. Since the intention of the apt mgmt was to provide it for use inside the club house, the strength of the signal is weak when trying to pick it up from my apartment, but still possible (1-4 bars) on my very old Dell Latitude D420 laptop.

I have read on the Dell website reviews that the Venue 8 Pro had difficulty picking up weak wifi and needing to reboot constantly. Is this still true? Any way to improve this without changing locations or paying for my own connection?

Otherwise, the Venue 8 Pro seems to fit most of my needs as a mini Windows tablet pc to watch You Tube videos and handle MS Word docs, pdf., keep up with the news and social media.

2. Gazziki

Gazziki Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't know about your problem, but my inhouse signal is strong and there is no problems in ussing full speed of my internet on this tablet, also no DCs, it also picks some other areas signals and I live on 19 floor. Issue with this tablet is low battery life and heating.

3. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You could pick up a small WiFi repeater device which strengthens the WiFi signal. Readily available at electronics stores.

sat99 likes this.
  4. sat99

sat99 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll try to find out about the repeater but it has to be something that doesn't require my fiddling with or trying to make manual connections with the apartment's router. The router was set up by the apt's corporate office in another city and our local office manager is a 60+ lady who seems to think the signal stops at the walls of the clubhouse which closes at 5pm and she won't let me near the thing or talk to the corporate office about it. Of course all the apartments near the club house gets full strength but my unit is a few buildings away so not so lucky.

How soon does the heating get to the point you have to shutdown? I plan on getting a 2 year extended warranty but should I be thinking 3 years? I need this tablet to hopefully last longer.

5. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I haven't used one, but nope, these plug-in (into a wall outlet), small boxes don't interfere with a router. They simply receive the WiFi signal and then strengthen it/extend it (so I understand--haven't purchased one). And not expensive--often for sale (you're not the only one needing one of these!) for under $50 (and sometimes well under).

6. baxter

baxter Scribbler - Standard Member

I have one of these. It extends the signal strength, but a repeater cuts the bandwidth in half. They are good for ordinary tasks, but bad for streaming (e.g. Netflix).

7. macmelilla

macmelilla Pen Pal - Newbie

I've got three tablets, iPad 1, iPad 3 and Dell Venue 5130. At the farthest point from my router in my house, iPads have got 3/5 bars of signal and they never lose connection. However Dell gets 2/5 and lose connection frequently. My wp8 (phone) works well too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.