Dell Venue 8 Pro 64 GB owner discussion thread

Discussion in 'Dell' started by cyberguy, Nov 6, 2013.

1. cyberguy

cyberguy Pen Pal - Newbie

The other thread is too general and it is getting long so I am making this new thread. Also my order of the 64 gb has just been shipped and I am scheduled to recceive it on 11/12/2013.

Maybe this unit will have the latest driver and bios to improve it from the 32 gb version.

2. sayonical

sayonical Pen Pal - Newbie

My 64gb shipped today from Amazon with 2 shipping it scheduled to be here on Saturday - earlier than the 11/12 initial estimate. Dell also shipped my pen today with next day shipping to here tomorrow.

Anyone have a nice case with a flip cover that doubles as a stand like those iPad mini cases?

3. ElAguila

ElAguila Pen Pal - Newbie

I was so excited that I got mine in today. Then to my utter disappointment I started having problems with it. I have a thread about the stylus issue I am having. It is also doing weird things when typing. I like the size of the tablet and the speed. It is much faster than my latitude 10. But issues make the stylus completely unusable and the touchscreen is just flaking out enough to make me not enjoy by tablet. I am hoping to get it exchanged quickely.

4. cyberguy

cyberguy Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got my 64 GB version today, earlier than expected. So far it is a cool tablet. However, I am not sure how to transfer files from my desktop computer to my my Dell Venue Pro 8 tablet using the micro usb cable. When I plug the tablet to my desktop computer via the micro usb cable, I do not see a way to transfer files from my desktop to the tablet. I am so used to Android in easily transfering files from desktop computer to android tablet, but I am not sure how to do it with Windows 8.1 tablet. Does anyone know how?

5. NJHitmen

NJHitmen Pen Pal - Newbie

What type and size are these files? Would a Dropbox or sky drive solution work for you? Might actually be easier than trying to deal with a cable.

6. 150pilot

150pilot Pen Pal - Newbie

You have to keep in mind that the V8P is basically just another full fledged Windows PC. And you can't just plug in a USB cable between two Windows PC's and transfer files. This is where flash drives come in. The easiest way is to get an USB-OTG "on-the-go" cable which will allow you to plug in a flash drive into the V8P and transfer file back & forth to it.

USB-OTG Cable

hp2 likes this.
  7. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

Another easy way is to utilize a home wifi network. Share the drive with the data on the desktop and it becomes your own personal cloud storage. Want updated copies on both computers? Use FreeFileSync to sync over wifi.

There is also the mSDXC that you can pop in a reader and use as a flash drive to copy or sync the files and then pop it back in the V8P. Lots of ways to move files about.

8. ElAguila

ElAguila Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the 64Gb version and put a 64Gb micro in. Easiest method would be a shared folder. If it is a lot of data then otg with a flash drive would probably be faster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

9. oo74

oo74 Pen Pal - Newbie

Can someone with the 64gb version please tell me how much free space was available after initial setup? Thanks

10. jvloyola

jvloyola Pen Pal - Newbie

I believe in the main thread someone mentioned about 49 or 50 out of the box.

My VP8 arrives next week I can tell you exactly then.

Vinny

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk 4

oo74 likes this.
  11. barnesgj

barnesgj Scribbler - Standard Member

With the Home Office installed, I have 38G free. SD card provides another 59.4G with nothing on it.

12. dceggert

I have three machines I use now regularly (I know, sick in the head). The Elitepad 900, Fujitsu Q702, and now the V8P. I keep all my documents, videos, etc. on the mSDXC card. I have my Menu UI synchronizing between all three and all I need to do to pick up one or the other and put it to work is change card.

I eject it out of the V8P and can put it in the EP900 directly. To use the Q702 I put it in the SD card holder and pop it into the Q702 and go.

cheflo likes this.
  13. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Remind me again why skydrive or some sort of internet/network sync isn't an option for you. Changing out the cards sounds prohibitive to me (particularly the tiny uSD card and hard to access port on the V8P).

14. dceggert

LOL...for me Skydrive is not an option because I have too many documents on my machine with other people's personal information that could be used to steal their identities. I assist with many benevolent groups after work and I do not feel that 'the cloud' is as secure as is it is perceived to be.

For instance, we found out recently that Windows and Android (probably Apple OS as well) have 'back doors' for the NSA to gain access to your computer. Server software likely does as well. When Snowden left and took info with him he basically took the keys to the safe box. It is just a matter of time before some unscrupulous individuals figure out that all they need to do is get a low paying job at the NSA, get the keys for themself, and then sell the info to the pirates around the world. It is going to be a nightmare as these thieves discover these back doors one by one.

I just don't want to be the one responsible for someone losing their savings....and changing out the mSDXC is not really a big deal. Probably the biggest issue will be it will shoot out of the reader at some point and get lost in the environs of my living room!

15. Ice Bluz

Ice Bluz Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered mine yesterday and it's already shipped. Now I have to go back and order the stylus, because it does appear to be a different stylus than the Latitude 10. Supposedly I'm getting the red back, but if you stick the tablet in one of those cases, do you really see the back? (I'm being sarcastic here). So if the customer service rep who took my order, lied to me and I get the black model, it's not going back (unless it's defective). I really do think that 8" Win8 tablets are the iPad Mini/Kindle HD killers. You can do everything you need to do and everything you want to do. I've done too much serious computing on my cell phone, time to give my eyes a little break. I want something that's almost as convenient as my cell phone to carry around all day wherever I am. I already know that it will fit perfectly in my little shoulderbag. I plan to stick a 64gb micro sdxc in it and call it good. :thumbsup:

16. inmnbob

inmnbob Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree this is a better phablet and gives the benefits of a large phone with full windows and office. It is perfect for me in meetings and on a business trip. Have a small keyboard and mouse in the briefcase for the hotel and I am good to go. I use Outlook and One Note extensively so this works well. The pen is about half way there. Needs some fixes and then this will be as close to perfect as it gets. The only perfect would be the same system with Wacom. However I can live with this Pen if it fixes the trailers and some connection inconsistencies.

Wish I can find a way to chance a button to an eraser and not the lasso in OneNote.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

17. bugelrex

bugelrex Scribbler - Standard Member

33-35GB free on the 64GB model out of the box. I have the 64GB unit, its a bit misleading, but its the same if you had bought a laptop with a 64GB drive. The OS and recovery, hibernate will suck up alot

18. barnesgj

barnesgj Scribbler - Standard Member

Someone in my office picked up the V8P 64G after seeing mine. He installed Office and Norton AV and then did a Windows update. During the update his system stalled and the only way he could get it to boot was to do a full restore. I did not have the same issue when I updated mine, and the only difference was that I did not install an AV. We are not sure if that was the problem or just a glitch during the update. His is working now.

19. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

@DC: Your signature said you only own the DV8 stylus I take it from the above you have now added that accessory known as the "tablet?" If so, have you dished elsewhere? If not, quick take here? Bay Trail on V8P as snappy as virtually every YouTube makes it appear? Major pros/cons? Stylus function appear a driver or two away from Ntrig level for writing (not pressure art)? 8s this "the one" @8" or should one wait for a few more to come out? First reports In read were Damon w/feint praise; more recently gushing with, er, non-fiction praise.

Value your inputs /links to internal reviews - question for any owner. Thanks much. Jeff

Sounds like one "yes" vote to my question above. Man, what became of Dell? For that matter, can anyone remember a more accelerated performance and price improvement phase in personal computing than the past year? Every month I want to replace the device a I fell in love with last month! And I'm not just speaking of convertible small W8 tablets.

Comments/links appreciated ; I'm coming up to speed from period of I'll health - no more¡

Jeff

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  20. dceggert

Jeff,
    LOL... yup, it's here. Here are my ramblings about it....

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/dell/59432-dan-s-venue-8-pro-review-mighty-mouse.html