Dell Venue 8 and 11 Pro

Discussion in 'Dell' started by excalibur1814, Oct 2, 2013.

1. avianz

avianz Pen Pal - Newbie

Uh, its on the website, look harder. I ordered one with a case and stylus already.

2. theblueantilope

theblueantilope Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm waiting for someone to put the Venue Pro on eBay. Not available in Norway until January.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Online with sales rep now - ordering - pricing is looking pretty good:

OK - Details:

Venue 8 Pro 64GB.............$388.99
    Custom case..........................39.99
    Stylus ($34.49 each)..............68.98

Total...................................$497.96

Here's hoping it is a keeper (despite my concerns about the stylus)

That sure seems too low - but who's complaining.:D

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    MikeOx and demandarin like this.
  4. TheGuac

TheGuac Scribbler - Standard Member

I just ordered the tablet with the case and pen. I figure I might as well since they don't charge the card and I can always cancel. Not too thrilled about the 32 gb option though. I have a feeling the W4 will be the one to beat but i like how this has the stylus.

5. MicroByte

MicroByte Pen Pal - Newbie

Dell Venue 8 Pro Windows 8.1 HD Tablet Details | Dell

If you select the 64GB option, it states it will not ship until November 1st on the left side under the price.

Having a hard time pulling the trigger on a 32GB with cover for some reason right now. Can't decide if I want the extra space for $50 and wait on the cover or just get the cover now.

6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Before tax, the 64GB option is $350 and the pen is $35. I just ordered it, but I didn't see any option to add LTE, is it included by default, or just not available yet?

7. MicroByte

Darn, just noticed if you order it with the case, it's not available until November 8th! I think I'll order the tablet and get the case later on once I see more of it to see if it's worth the price.

8. TheGuac

TheGuac Scribbler - Standard Member

You can add them separately and they'll ship when they are available. I have two different ship dates and interestingly the tablet is coming after the stylus and case.

9. dstrauss

Sales rep told me no LTE available.

TheGuac is right - my sales rep in the chat added pens (2 - I'm always losing these things) and the case separately - the accessories deliver by 10/25, tablet says it delivers by 11/5 - oh well, I though the 64Gb was definitely worth the wait, plus Dell has an excellent return policy f this turns out to be a dud (stylus wise - rest looks pretty good from online demos, but I really was hoping for 4GB and mSATA instead of eMMC).

The price points seem amazing to me...maybe I can get by without the uber expensive Fuji...

At these prices, even if the stylus is mediocre, how is this not going to be a Surface 2 killer - full Windows compatibility in a smaller form factor - I know - plastic, not vmag, but still - the 64GB Surface 2 is $169 more, without a case or stylus? :eek:

10. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Anyone who thought the Surface 2 is going to gain ground with Bay Trail and previous Surface RT blunder is delusional.

That said, did anyone add the protection plan? Can you buy one after the purchase? I'd order to try it out now, but I don't want to buy the protection if it won't get refunded if I return? Is it even worth it at $350? (I haven't bought protection on my $6-700 cell phones in forever).

11. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

demandarin likes this.
  12. dstrauss

Probably not worth it for a $350 device, but that said, I put a year on it just to get the expedited repair service, not just the accidental damage coverage. This is really starting to make the RT decision look bad - unless Bay Trail turns out to be a dud.

13. dstrauss

Anand is just one of the best reviewers in the business. I love the T100 form factor and design - but where is the stylus? I see on the Dell accessory page that a keyboard/cover is in the works (no mention of battery, and it looks to be Bluetooth, but still a nice cover). However, for my use scenario, I want a note taking tablet as a companion to my Big Hoss (Acer Aspire V7) - so here's hoping the Dell Venue 8 Pro does the trick!

Zeelobby likes this.
  14. MicroByte

Thank you for sharing this. I have been trying to get a sense of how the Bay Trail performs with respect to comparable chips and it looks like it does quite well. I was primarily comparing it with the iPad Mini which the Venue will replace so it was good to see that both the CPU and GPU appear to be better than what I'm currently using.

15. MikeOx

MikeOx Scribbler - Standard Member

Good on you guys getting the V8P, I wish Dell could had at least listed the V11P with prices already.

16. redviper

redviper Scribbler - Standard Member

I bought the dell venue 8 pros today with the active stylus. The expected delivery date is the 30th and once I have them in hand I'll post stylus impressions. My main use case would be note taking, some sketching. If miracast works I would like to do presentations with this also. Sadly there is no hdmi output like my Ativ (or atleast there doesn't seem to be hdmi).

17. MicroByte

I had asked a Dell Rep on G+ about HDMI out and they said there was not. Miracast was the only option they suggested.

18. dstrauss

Where does on get this "Miracast" gear to let you hook up to an HDMI screen?

19. MicroByte

Here are some on Amazon.

Amazon.com: miracast

20. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Amazon.com: NETGEAR Push2TV Wireless Display HDMI Adapter - Miracast and WiDi (PTV3000): Electronics

I think there are better ones floating around though.

MicroByte beat me to it!

Also on a side note, until monitors/TVs start consistently coming with Miracast incorporated, carrying around a brick to stream things seems like a big pain in the ass, maybe for a conference room it would make sense, but it's not like you could go to a customers office and just stream stuff off. HDMI out would have been nice.